Bringing goods from the EU

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My point is just that there's little value in an argument of "rubbish"; as it doesn't really help an understanding on why that position is held.

Don't ***** yourself over that fact, you haven't understood my position held for nearly 5 years and vice versa.

I find the doom and gloom attitude rather frustrating and draining. This state of mind, that everything is a disaster can not be good for people. Do you work with people or are you a lone worker?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't ***** yourself over that fact, you haven't understood my position held for nearly 5 years and vice versa.

I find the doom and gloom attitude rather frustrating and draining. This state of mind, that everything is a disaster can not be good for people. Do you work with people or are you a lone worker?
It's kinda hard to understand a position when the argument made is "rubbish".

I work with people. Over the course of my career; many many hundreds, from many different countries. Collaboration on scientific, tech, and consumer engineering projects. Working with people is key. Positive collaboration leading to greater success; rather than isolationism.

The mad thing is that it's always been the Brexit position that's been the negative one (fear and distrust rather than positive building together). Pointing out the harmful impacts of that position is not negativity; it's making rational judgement of the likely outcome, based on the available evidence.

Now that it's happened (and surprise surprise the positives are thin on the ground, and many of the predicted negatives are plain to see), the response is that "we" are being negative, and we should all just move on and stop talking about it. Now that really is an argument that's rubbish.

Last edited by a moderator:
The referendum was lost through complacency and an inability to communicate with voters. Brexiteers created an emotional playing field. Remainers believed rational argument would win the day.
Unfortunately a lot of decisions are made as a result of sensationalism, guilt trips or just plain lies.

It's kinda hard to understand a position when the argument made is "rubbish".

I work with people. Over the course of my career; many many hundreds, from many different countries. Collaboration on scientific, tech, and consumer engineering projects. Working with people is key. Positive collaboration leading to greater success; rather than isolationism.

The mad thing is that it's always been the Brexit position that's been the negative one (fear and distrust rather than positive building together). Pointing out the harmful impacts of that position is not negativity; it's making rational judgement of the likely outcome, based on the available evidence.

Now that it's happened (and surprise surprise the positives are thin on the ground, and many of the predicted negatives are plain to see), the response is that "we" are being negative, and we should all just move on and stop talking about it. Now that really is an argument that's rubbish.

Not at all. It's just in 5 years I've never seen a glimpse of any positivity, in anything in your life. Even when I post that I'm quite happy you seem to knock that back. In REAL life i'm sure you are the life and soul of the party, just not on here. I guess that maybe an internet demeaner, I hope so. Do you really believe I have taken the negative position? if you do then our conversations are at an end as you really would be talking bolllloxs then. You have chastised me plenty of times for explaining that I'm as happy as a pig in poop and lucky that I can reflect back on some terrible times and realise how blessed I truely am.

Not at all. It's just in 5 years I've never seen a glimpse of any positivity, in anything in your life. Even when I post that I'm quite happy you seem to knock that back. In REAL life i'm sure you are the life and soul of the party, just not on here. I guess that maybe an internet demeaner, I hope so. Do you really believe I have taken the negative position? if you do then our conversations are at an end as you really would be talking bolllloxs then. You have chastised me plenty of times for explaining that I'm as happy as a pig in poop and lucky that I can reflect back on some terrible times and realise how blessed I truely am.
I dislike con-men, fraudsters and populists; people who take advantage of others for their own personal gain (frequently at the detriment of those they're conning); hence my dislike of Brexit. If more people called out the BS merchants they (hopefully) wouldn't be so successful.

I've been lucky enough to benefit from some of the opportunities that an integrated Europe has brought (and I'm grateful and very positive about it). The fact we've taken away many of those benefits from ourselves and our children (in order for a tiny minority to - possibly - benefit) is tragic.

An individual may be positive or negative, but the negative position is supporting isolationism and separation; especially when that's been based on lies and fear. And yes, even if that's been done with a smile.

PS I see even the Telegraph is now reporting that Boris is considering "changes" to the working time directive; another warning that was absolutely Project Fear and would never happen. But I suppose bringing that up would be considered negative.

I dislike con-men, fraudsters and populists; people who take advantage of others for their own personal gain (frequently at the detriment of those they're conning); hence my dislike of Brexit. If more people called out the BS merchants they (hopefully) wouldn't be so successful.

I've been lucky enough to benefit from some of the opportunities that an integrated Europe has brought (and I'm grateful and very positive about it). The fact we've taken away many of those benefits from ourselves and our children (in order for a tiny minority to - possibly - benefit) is tragic.

An individual may be positive or negative, but the negative position is supporting isolationism and separation; especially when that's been based on lies and fear. And yes, even if that's been done with a smile.

PS I see even the Telegraph is now reporting that Boris is considering "changes" to the working time directive; another warning that was absolutely Project Fear and would never happen. But I suppose bringing that up would be considered negative.

Do what you want Sploo, your demeaner / manner / life disposition is your choice. Some people are built that way, others not.

P.S. not sure, but are we playing the "last word" game again?

Should be OK then apart from the current border delays as long as they have their paperwork in order. You'll get a VAT invoice from the shipping company, as per importing from rest of world. The handling fee and having to deal with that extra transaction should be the only difference you notice. Simple case, like I said.

Yep, it's only duty that might be a problem, although if it is only a couple of % that isn't an issue.

Are these EU made goods?

It's raw materials but yes.

From my contact with the supplier it looks like I will be paying extra. The prices are the same as I paid before Brexit, but now I will have to pay VAT when it arrives. So I am guessing either they don't want to deal with the hassle or (more likely) they were never paying proper VAT in the first place. That's Greeks for ya! lol.

Simple again then, no duty. Duty would only apply if the rules of origin didn't cover it. Say if the Greek seller actually imports it from Turkey and doesn't do anything more than repackage it and sell it to you - *and* customs find out.

Simple again then, no duty. Duty would only apply if the rules of origin didn't cover it. Say if the Greek seller actually imports it from Turkey and doesn't do anything more than repackage it and sell it to you - *and* customs find out.

I'll let you know how I get on. Will be interesting to see how the Greeks handle the tax given their reputation.

I find the doom and gloom attitude rather frustrating and draining

I agree the doom and gloom and endless whining from Brexiteers over the last few years has been dreadful.

One might imagine having left the EU they might be happy....but no.

Last year they moaned endlessly about the "EU being bullies"
Now they are still moaning because people have the temerity to discuss the inevitable problems of Brexit reality.

Some people are built that way, others not

You are conflating the debating of Brexit with ones emotional state.

Just because Sploo does not believe it is acceptable for fraudsters to not be scrutinised for their con, does not in any way give a clue to his outlook on life.

You are conflating the debating of Brexit with ones emotional state.

Just because Sploo does not believe it is acceptable for fraudsters to not be scrutinised for their con, does not in any way give a clue to his outlook on life.

Thank you, but I'm afraid you are not in the last word game. Me and Sploo play that, just me and him for the last 4 years. I'm winning.
After a number of years you DO get a few clues.
Also you see great examples of tribalism

Last edited:
I agree the doom and gloom and endless whining from Brexiteers over the last few years has been dreadful.

One might imagine having left the EU they might be happy....but no.

Last year they moaned endlessly about the "EU being bullies"
Now they are still moaning because people have the temerity to discuss the inevitable problems of Brexit reality.

I disagree.

I am afraid that the first benefit not being in the EU is the pandemic, we have been able to get what we require and currently we have Vax'ed more than the whole EU put together.
Um. No.
The vaccine was approved for use in the UK *before* the transition period ended, *because* of EU law.
Also, you're paying a lot more per dose than anyone in the EU and I don't know why, because the UK was invited to be in the group order *without* having to abandon brexit but just didn't respond.
Also also, if you can get all you require, why on earth are you talking about skipping the second shot or substituting a different vaccine for that second shot, to which every doctor involved has said "are you high? of course that's not how that works, can I talk to an adult please?" when asked if it might work.

Just a note, in the Irish papers it's reported that DHL tried to charge a €42 charge fie online purchases from Arnotts department store which is owned by Selfridge's and has goods in warehouses in UK.
Arnotts said DHL had no business charging their customers and have reimbursed. DHL blame the client (I.e. Arnotts/Selfridge's) for providing the wrong paperwork. Lol
Yup, a lot of shops here are pulling that nonsense and paying for it. Our kettle sprang a leak and shorted out the main house RCD. Ordered a replacement from the Curry's down the road (we're under lockdown with the worst infection rate per capita in the world right now thanks to nonsense from our bunch of merry idiots). That shop said it had loads of stock, all would be well, so I ordered and they tried to ship the kettle from a depot in the UK via DPD who had just announced that they would indefinitely suspend shipping from the UK to the EU including Ireland because of Brexit. I cancelled the order, and apparently I'm one of thousands doing the same thing, which can't be great for their business.

Meanwhile the same freight issues biting in the UK right now are also biting here, even though we never had a vote on whether or not to have a go at this jolly jape, and our freight companies are giving out the most dreary warnings about foodstuffs and such, which is irksome when you're under lockdown conditions. So, y'know, brexit is ever so popular over here right now.

Um. No.
The vaccine was approved for use in the UK *before* the transition period ended, *because* of EU law.
Also, you're paying a lot more per dose than anyone in the EU and I don't know why, because the UK was invited to be in the group order *without* having to abandon brexit but just didn't respond.
Also also, if you can get all you require, why on earth are you talking about skipping the second shot or substituting a different vaccine for that second shot, to which every doctor involved has said "are you high? of course that's not how that works, can I talk to an adult please?" when asked if it might work.

Yup, a lot of shops here are pulling that nonsense and paying for it. Our kettle sprang a leak and shorted out the main house RCD. Ordered a replacement from the Curry's down the road (we're under lockdown with the worst infection rate per capita in the world right now thanks to nonsense from our bunch of merry idiots). That shop said it had loads of stock, all would be well, so I ordered and they tried to ship the kettle from a depot in the UK via DPD who had just announced that they would indefinitely suspend shipping from the UK to the EU including Ireland because of Brexit. I cancelled the order, and apparently I'm one of thousands doing the same thing, which can't be great for their business.

Meanwhile the same freight issues biting in the UK right now are also biting here, even though we never had a vote on whether or not to have a go at this jolly jape, and our freight companies are giving out the most dreary warnings about foodstuffs and such, which is irksome when you're under lockdown conditions. So, y'know, brexit is ever so popular over here right now.

where are you writing from?

I thought it was ok (in that .eu domains need to be owned by either an EU business or EU citizen)? Obviously the fact the guy now named is apparently surprised by it is a problem.

For me, the "amusement" was that (like so many of the Brexit backers*) they have the resources to move critical infrastructure to EU nations in order to not lose out; whereas the majority of people they convinced to vote Leave do not.

* See: Farage getting German passports for his kids, or Ratcliffe sodding off to Monaco.

And carry out their business and/or be a resident of an EU state as far as I recall.

The guy, Sean Power, in Waterford is quoted as saying:
" My lawyers are looking into this on my behalf presently and will be in touch as deemed necessary in due course, I have nothing to do with Leave.EU and never heard of it before yesterday.”

Ah, here's the small-ish print:

According to Article 4 (2) (b) of Regulation (EC) No 733/2002, as amended by Regulation (EU) 2019/517, the following persons, undertakings and organisations are eligible to register .eu domain names:

• a Union citizen, independently of their place of residence;
  • a natural person who is not a Union citizen and who is a resident of a Member State;
  • an undertaking that is established in the Union; or
  • an organisation that is established in the Union, without prejudice to the application of national law.

LOL, says it all really, pure comedy :

Leave dot EU not happy after being caught breaking EU IP rules, Neale Richmond (third rate politician....) is a TD (MP) in the Irish Dail. Sovereignty innit?
"Leave means leave lads, jog on......"

gXW8oVg.png

jKtaAjW.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back