Bringing goods from the EU

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently you need an EORI number to import goods now, be interesting to see how easy that is to get hold of.

Apparently you need an EORI number to import goods now, be interesting to see how easy that is to get hold of.

Very easy. If you've imported in the past in the course of your business HMRC should've dropped you a note to apply.

Fill in the boxes here: Get an EORI number

And do some new letterheads etc with the number on it. Without it you're asking for hassle.

Also have you had written confirmation on agreed price and shipping? Does the shipper clearly indicate that they are NOT charging VAT/GST? Are they registered for it?

Very easy. If you've imported in the past in the course of your business HMRC should've dropped you a note to apply.

And do some new letterheads etc with the number on it. Without it you're asking for hassle.

I've imported plenty over the last 12 years, I doubt HMRC ever noticed though. They didn't contact me about EORI.

Also have you had written confirmation on agreed price and shipping? Does the shipper clearly indicate that they are NOT charging VAT/GST? Are they registered for it?

Edited as you replied.

Does the shipper clearly indicate that they are NOT charging VAT/GST? Are they registered for it?

No idea, I am dealing with Greeks, I am sure they have a workaround! lol

I will factor in a 20% addition to what I am paying anyway, if it turns out I don't pay it, great.

No idea, I am dealing with Greeks, I am sure they have a workaround! lol

I will factor in a 20% addition to what I am paying anyway, if it turns out I don't pay it, great.

FPA is 24% in Greece. Point I was making is that if they charge you then it's money thrown in the ditch and then it'll be a further 20% when it reaches your shores + admin etc. In many cases it's not a big deal, depends I suppose on the shipping value and your needs.

FPA is 24% in Greece. Point I was making is that if they charge you then it's money thrown in the ditch and then it'll be a further 20% when it reaches your shores + admin etc. In many cases it's not a big deal, depends I suppose on the shipping value and your needs.

I was quoted a price, they won't say if that includes VAT or not, they don't know really because they don't really deal with tax. They will ship it to me with "suitable paperwork so I don't pay" who knows what that will entail. I factored 20% extra into what I was willing to pay (they are more than 20% cheaper than other companies I deal with and I know they are very good quality) so I will either pay what I expected or I will pay 20% less.

Yesterday I was going to order some 3d printing filament from prusa (they are in czeck republic) ....Nope.
Currently not taking orders from the UK due to brexit.
The guy in the unit next to me is having similar issues, he is a manufacturer and distributor of paragliding stuff. Many of his suppliers have stopped being able to send stuff.
The main excuse is not that they are unwilling to send it. But rather that the couriers won't deliver it.
They don't know what to do, effectively they are having to be customs agents and they don't want to do it.

Ollie

I ordered some more printers from prusa on the 12th December 2020. At the time there was a 3-4 week delay for new orders. They were kind enough to upgrade to next day shipping free of charge so I recieved them just before the new year. Shame I can't order any of their filament at the moment. Amazon basics is mediocre but it does the job for the mean time.

Oh dear. Caught up in Dover? Bought a new battery drill, Amazon.
Checked on it this morning.

Saturday, 16 January
7:37 PM
Package departed an Amazon facility
Casirate d’Adda (BG), Lombardy IT
Friday, 15 January
9:58 AM
Package arrived at an Amazon facility
Bergamo, Lombardy IT
Thursday, 14 January

Package has shipped
Montelimar, FR

Crazy? How many miles is that?
Makes me wonder how many air?/sea? miles it will have travelled if it gets here - That's without Brexit holdups.

Yet another bunch of Irish customers caught up in the entire customs-charges screwup by retailers and couriers...

Currys PC World Irish Customers Asked To Pay Import Tax

Whist of the story is Irish customers buying off Curry's Irish website for goods from it's Irish store are being asked by DPD to pay import fees. Which, to be clear, should not apply, as the consumer is buying duty-paid goods from an Irish retailer. Again, Curry's are blaming DPD, so DPD stopped shipping packages, so now another entire cohort of customers are stuck in limbo with neither money nor goods.

One guy had to pay €200 tax for a PC before DPD would release it!

I assume the same is happening in reverse if people are buying goods of UK retailers which are actually being shipped in from abroad...

Moral of they story is, go to the shop in person!

Export rather than import, but I see the fishing industry isn't exactly happy:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-55706114
Or to summarise: we've caused a massive problem by deceiving the country into voting to add extra bureaucracy to exports, so we'll now throw £23m of your (taxpayers) money to cover the costs of rotting squid.

So, y'know, brexit is ever so popular over here right now
N Ireland was an insolvable problem, Theresa May had at least a modicum of integrity and wouldn't allow the United Kingdom to to be broken up.

Johnson had no such scruples, he simply threw NI under a bus in order to get power.

Johnson quite simply lied...he said there would be unfettered access and kept repeating it.

Apparently in modern politics if you lie big you can win big.

Current govt motto is: never explain, never back down, never apologise.

Now we have more gaslighting: the pro Brexit side are dismissing issues as "teething troubles".....some are, many are permanent increases in paperwork, delays, costs.

N Ireland was an insolvable problem, Theresa May had at least a modicum of integrity and wouldn't allow the United Kingdom to to be broken up.

Johnson had no such scruples, he simply threw NI under a bus in order to get power.

Johnson quite simply lied...he said there would be unfettered access and kept repeating it.

Apparently in modern politics if you lie big you can win big.

Current govt motto is: never explain, never back down, never apologise.

Now we have more gaslighting: the pro Brexit side are dismissing issues as "teething troubles".....some are, many are permanent increases in paperwork, delays, costs.

Although Mark is in Ireland, which as he describes is now suffering many ill effects of Brexit (fishing, customs red tape and tax/duties and so much else) Johnson did indeed threw NI under the bus. Gove rabbits on about NI getting the best of both worlds - in GB and EU CU etc- in reality it’s the worst of both entities.

GB has been a distribution hub for goods to NI/Ireland and further afield since UK joined the EU. It’s difficult to see that continuing and makes little sense for it to continue. For example Toyota are talking about moving it’s parts operation to Belgium. I’m sure many others types of goods distribution hubs will be rethinking their future.

It’s still difficult to understand why a country voted to increase trade barriers with the world’s biggest trading bloc and also within it’s own borders.

On that subject, I was amused to see the bullsheet fountain Toby Young recently mention he's automatically deleting tweets more than a week old to protect against (and I quote) "politically-motivated offence archaeologists".

Or as I like to call them: people who point out he's full of, erm... sheet.

I mean, imagine being so unsure of your own arguments that you'd rather people don't remember what you previously said. Reminds me of something...

It’s still difficult to understand why a country voted to increase trade barriers with the world’s biggest trading bloc and also within it’s own borders.
Americans are breathing sigh of relief and talking of the Trump 4yr "aberration" coming to an end.
Lucky them !
We are stuck with our Farage/Johnson/brexit aberration for a long time to come

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back