Bringing goods from the EU

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies, I'm sure this is somewhere in the thread but I couldn't see it in the pages I scanned. I just ordered some nails and a dovetail saw from Dictum, I was not charged VAT. Have I walked into a bit of a trap here? is there going to be a massive faff to get the parcel and extra cost (above VAT)?

Probably. Or they might just throw in into the sea.

Yea, that's a fair point. You can just keep trying until you find the one that works ;). Like this:

somewhere around 3:00 was predictable!! seen that in physics lab when a person who told me they were going to be an electrical engineer in college didn't believe that you could bend a paper clip into something that would cause trouble with the outlet on the lab table. So, he bent a large paper clip into three prongs and inserted it into the outlet, it made the same noise and flew across the back of the room clanging into the wall "Ping!!!!".

I have no idea how the dude didn't get fried. Tips of the paperclip were melted into little ball shapes, just a little, but enough to see - and black stuff like that around the outlet.

Fortunately, our teacher was elderly and heard the sound, turned around and looked for a second, and then went back to writing on the board.

(the event didn't throw a breaker, because this is the USA and we don't need it to be that safe, especially in public schools where we are filtering out the dummies).

Last edited:
That would mean it would be more expensive as UK vat is 20%.
I'm fed up as since 1999 we have gone to France each summer for between 2 and 6 weeks and now have to think what we take with us when camping. I enjoy cooking and prep and freeze a fair bit to take with us, so I can spend more on the great fresh produce they have. I cannot do this any more. I cannot even take a first night meal to heat up after driving 600+ miles towing a caravan. After a journey like that all you want to do is unload, do a basic set-up and have a drink and simple meal before a good sleep.
And don't get me started on wine. Some years I'd brought back up to 180L in wine boxes, enough for a year and a few festive gatherings. Now it's 18L each.

Colin

It's not only the 20% VAT, there'll be a tenner for the courier for collecting the VAT

That would mean it would be more expensive as UK vat is 20%.
I'm fed up as since 1999 we have gone to France each summer for between 2 and 6 weeks and now have to think what we take with us when camping. I enjoy cooking and prep and freeze a fair bit to take with us, so I can spend more on the great fresh produce they have. I cannot do this any more. I cannot even take a first night meal to heat up after driving 600+ miles towing a caravan. After a journey like that all you want to do is unload, do a basic set-up and have a drink and simple meal before a good sleep.
And don't get me started on wine. Some years I'd brought back up to 180L in wine boxes, enough for a year and a few festive gatherings. Now it's 18L each.

Colin

My bugbear is loss of pet passports. I don't like going away without my dog so going across to Calais and onwards to Brittany or further South was a lovely foreign holiday with my dog.

Sadly you cannot leave the island of GB with a pet without incurring time, cost, certificates and other formalities.

Aa
I think this thread is providing a real service to contributors who seem to be going through the conventional stages of loss:
  • denial
  • anger
  • bargaining
  • depression
  • acceptance
Being able to express ones emotions is often regarded as helpful. Most have done the denial bit and are now somewhere in the middle three.

Even Brexiteers may have similar feelings. Despite having got the outcome they voted for, it is not delivering the benefits they may have expected, only problems they hadn't anticipated..

The battle is over. As a remainer I lost. I don't want to waste any time or energy on the first four. It happened, get used to it, and move on.

I know this is unsympathetic - so apologies who those who feel I am being insensitive.

I don't really agree, Im not bothered by Brexit itself.....the reality is it won't be as bad as one side say nor as good as one side says.

What I refuse to accept is the dishonest narrative used by the Brexiteer side that "you need to let it go, it's done"

Brexit has literally only just happened...for 4 years all the Brexit arguments have taken place whilst the retained all the benefits of the Single Market.

Brexit reality has only been less than a fortnight.....and in that period pro Brexit MPs have been out in force making dishonest claims.

Sadly division in this country will only ramp up more this year....Brexiteers will become even more angry than they were last year. I've no doubt some remainers will too.

Until the leaders of Brexit start telling the truth there won't be any healing.

somewhere around 3:00 was predictable!! seen that in physics lab when a person who told me they were going to be an electrical engineer in college didn't believe that you could bend a paper clip into something that would cause trouble with the outlet on the lab table. So, he bent a large paper clip into three prongs and inserted it into the outlet, it made the same noise and flew across the back of the room clanging into the wall "Ping!!!!".

I have no idea how the dude didn't get fried. Tips of the paperclip were melted into little ball shapes, just a little, but enough to see - and black stuff like that around the outlet.

Fortunately, our teacher was elderly and heard the sound, turned around and looked for a second, and then went back to writing on the board.

(the event didn't throw a breaker, because this is the USA and we don't need it to be that safe, especially in public schools where we are filtering out the dummies).
There's a comment on the video that sums it up nicely, "As a British electrician, I would like to congratulate you on not being dead.... against all odds"

I do remember sticking LEDs across the live an neutral pins of every socket in the DT room at school (with the master breaker off), then turning it on. Great firework display. Not so great smell 😁

Until the leaders of Brexit start telling the truth there won't be any healing.
That'll never happen though will it; they need to maintain the narrative that we could have achieved utopia, if it weren't for the evil EU.

Some will do that because they are smart enough to understand the con (at least, even if they were mostly ignorant of the actual details of trade and law), and others (based on some of the silly comments made over the last few years) will actually believe it to be true.

That'll never happen though will it; they need to maintain the narrative that we could have achieved utopia, if it weren't for the evil EU.

Some will do that because they are smart enough to understand the con (at least, even if they were mostly ignorant of the actual details of trade and law), and others (based on some of the silly comments made over the last few years) will actually believe it to be true.

We now have the oversimplified, "Brexit got done" narrative, as though it's as simple as having a new government, job done, nothing more to think about.....one side moaning other side happy.

It is not.

What we have is the beginning: Brexit false arguments and gaslighting will carry on but running parallel will be Brexit reality (which Brexiteers don't want discussed somare framing it as moaning)

So we will get MPs saying: "there is no trade friction NI to GB, just teething troubles".....but on the ground there will be businesses having real problems.....problems which won't go away, the cost increases and delays will impact business, people's jobs, the economy.

I wonder how Brexiteers will feel in a few years.....about that extra freedom and sovereignty they voted for. What will happen when they realise it amounts to nothing?

I wonder how they will feel when they realize their arrogance voted their country away and consigned it to oblivion. All they have done is prove the suspicion that for the most part, the idea of the UK is a load of guano

I wonder how Brexiteers will feel in a few years.....about that extra freedom and sovereignty they voted for. What will happen when they realise it amounts to nothing?
I wonder how they will feel when they realize their arrogance voted their country away and consigned it to oblivion. All they have done is prove the suspicion that for the most part, the idea of the UK is a load of guano
From the Brexit "leaders" I suspect it'll just be a continuation of misleading statements, mixed with gaslighting. It would be policital suicide to publicly admit it's a failure.

From the supporters... I suspect a majority will consider it some form of job done (and after all, "we" won). Given the lack of understanding of most of the pros and cons of EU membership (from all sides) I suspect that for many, the negative impacts of leaving the EU won't be that visible. Combine that with the Brexit leaders gaslighting and I doubt that many will be aware of the problems.

The lack of sunlit uplands and availability of personal unicorns can easily be passed off as the fault of the EU/remoaners/Corbyn's left testicle; so that probably won't be a problem either.

Well Sploo I agree with most of what you said but from where I'm looking down on the UK, to me, every one of those who touted a vote for Brexit is an anti unionist and has actively engaged in an act to destroy the union, especially the ERG. Afterall they have turned this unionist into a very reluctant but no longer reversable separatist with regards to the UK as the only way for my "nation" to have the form of governance it wants to no longer be a part of that union but part of another with much more socially aware people

I believe that when the Vote happened, as in most elections the vote was against what was there for something different, one of the main things that people believed would change was illegal immigrants, coming over from France and the EU criminals that could just come over. Also the EU had been set up as a gravy train for failed Politicians who wanted power. (look at Nigel F). The Accounts have never been signed off, what has happened to all that money too many fingers in the pie me thinks.

The EU have needed to make it hard to discourage others from leaving and we hear a number do. Then there are those whos books never equaled what was required to join (got in at a discount).

I am afraid that the first benefit not being in the EU is the pandemic, we have been able to get what we require and currently we have Vax'ed more than the whole EU put together.

We did not vote to join the EU but we did vote to join the EEC. If we could have gone back to that then I would have voted EEC.

Well Sploo I agree with most of what you said but from where I'm looking down on the UK, to me, every one of those who touted a vote for Brexit is an anti unionist and has actively engaged in an act to destroy the union, especially the ERG. Afterall they have turned this unionist into a very reluctant but no longer reversable separatist with regards to the UK as the only way for my "nation" to have the form of governance it wants to no longer be a part of that union but part of another with much more socially aware people
I don't think they did it deliberately though. If you look at the cr*p they (the ERG) came out with regarding solutions to the ROI/NI border (long after the vote was done) I suspect they a) weren't aware of the problem they'd cause in the first place, b) had absolutely no understanding of trade or border rules.

Obviously that doesn't make it OK, and I'm sure there are those who backed Brexit who were aware of some of the issues that could have been caused, but certainly when you look at the swivel-eyed loons in the ERG I doubt they know much about anything.

I do find it tragically amusing though that it's probably increased the chances of a future united Ireland, and right now I wouldn't blame Scotland for voting for independence - despite my sadness that it might happen.

Last edited:
I don't they did it deliberately though. If you look at the cr*p they (the ERG) came out with regarding solutions to the ROI/NI border (long after the vote was done) I suspect they a) weren't aware of the problem they'd cause in the first place, b) had absolutely no understanding of trade or border rules.

Obviously that doesn't make it OK, and I'm sure there are those who backed Brexit who were aware of some of the issues that could have been caused, but certainly when you look at the swivel-eyed loons in the ERG I doubt they know much about anything.

I do find it tragically amusing though that it's probably increased the chances of a future united Ireland, and right now I wouldn't blame Scotland for voting for independence - despite my sadness that it might happen.
Looking ahead - a united Ireland and Scotland together could be the future. Wales would be tempted to join, leaving little England as an eccentric xenophobic enclave, run by old Etonians and the landed gentry.

I believe that when the Vote happened, as in most elections the vote was against what was there for something different, one of the main things that people believed would change was illegal immigrants, coming over from France and the EU criminals that could just come over. Also the EU had been set up as a gravy train for failed Politicians who wanted power. (look at Nigel F). The Accounts have never been signed off, what has happened to all that money too many fingers in the pie me thinks.

The EU have needed to make it hard to discourage others from leaving and we hear a number do. Then there are those whos books never equaled what was required to join (got in at a discount).

I am afraid that the first benefit not being in the EU is the pandemic, we have been able to get what we require and currently we have Vax'ed more than the whole EU put together.

We did not vote to join the EU but we did vote to join the EEC. If we could have gone back to that then I would have voted EEC.

The UK had the right and the option to refuse or deport anybody, they just didn't bother putting in the infrastructure to do so.
The accounts have been signed off, by the Court of Auditors, certainly for the past 10 yrs as far as I recall.
Out of interest - "The EU have needed to make it hard to discourage others from leaving and we hear a number do" What have they done and what states are leaving?
I'd say your statement that "we have Vax'ed more than the whole EU put together..." is just about out of date. Was your UK claim for one shot or two?

Apologies, I'm sure this is somewhere in the thread but I couldn't see it in the pages I scanned. I just ordered some nails and a dovetail saw from Dictum, I was not charged VAT. Have I walked into a bit of a trap here? is there going to be a massive faff to get the parcel and extra cost (above VAT)?
I think for consignments of under £135 you pay VAT to Dictum, then they give the VAT to the UK govt.

Over £135, you pay VAT to Royal Mail/courier plus a handling fee, ie the seller's price won't include VAT. You might have to pay import duties as well.

Last edited:
I think for consignments of under £135 you pay VAT to the Dictum, then they give the VAT to the UK govt.

Over £135, you pay VAT to Royal Mail/courier plus a handling fee, ie the seller's price won't include VAT. You might have to pay import duties as well.

I think it's up to the vendor/retailer. They can charge MWSt if they want to but you'll still be charged UK VAT. There's no rule/regulation that insists that an EU seller signs up to be an unpaid collector of tax for the HMRC. This was a whizz idea by HMRC/HMT, nothing do do with the Dec 3oth Trade and Cooperation Agreement.

Looking ahead - a united Ireland and Scotland together could be the future. Wales would be tempted to join, leaving little England as an eccentric xenophobic enclave, run by old Etonians and the landed gentry.

And dealing with a huge contingent of unproductive but loudly complaining citizens who want to convince everyone else left that they're working hard for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back