Brightness/contrast at Chrome with youtube

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I have had to switch to Chrome to views some forums because of password recognition problems.
OK I have got that sorted. But now I have brightness problems.
At Chrome if I go to youtube and watch a video such as Bryce Canyon national park 4K at Chrome or other video it is blinding yet the forums view is very comfortable. If I switch the settings at chrome I get the reverse situation.
Can anyone suggest how I can change only the viewing contrast/brightness at youtube without changing chrome settings please.
(I don't know if its W10 or my video card nvida 1060 at the route of this problem?)

Not sure you can do exactly what you want, for technical reasons, although there is a free extension for Chrome (and equivalents for Firefox) that lets you alter the look of a specific web site (and store that setting):

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/stylebot

The snag is that to make it work, you'd need to be comfortable working with CSS and HTML5, so it's a bit A-level. I have used it myself, but I code in both (a bit, anyway).

It's very hard to assist you remotely - do you have a friendly geek locally? What I've said above ought to be enough of a clue for him or her...
. . .

On the other hand, Bryce is extremely bright in any case, and very, very orange.

I've been down into it twice, once on a mule and once on foot. On the walking descent, looking down to watch carefully where I put my feet, I noticed the calves of my wife's legs in front of me turn quite blue as we descended. There was nothing wrong, except the light - so strongly orange it was really upsetting my brain's sense of colour balance.

It is a truly strange and amazing place, so I hope you get your video working!

Incidentally it's got many hundreds of dead pine trees from lightning strikes. This seems weird too, until the guide explains the rock colour comes from ironstone (basically rust in the soil), which makes it very conductive. Lightning is drawn into the canyon, rather than to the rim above. Pine trees like the soil, and grow just tall enough to become a target...

E.

Thanks Eric, I know what you mean, I will get it working eventually but for me things take longer these days.

Janet & I know Bryce Canyon, we stayed a couple of nights at the motel on the rim 1985, its name will return to me sometime later today :) . I think its the best NP of usa not so crowded back then because of its remoteness to get in to the park, we were touring Colorado and Utah at the time. Whereas Yellowstone another occasion was a day trawl behind thousands of cars like being on a crowded motorway.,(btw we didn't make the bottom of BC we were past it then, its a trip really for twenty year olds, perhaps on a uni. break that's what I would recommend)

Some monitors incorporate software that enables you select different viewing settings depending on the content type (works across all applications - not just web / chrome). For example, you can choose "paper", or "media" etc on my Dell. Not available on all monitors but may be worth checking.

devonwoody":16nqqf8p said:
Thanks Matt, my monitor will not do that I don't think, its a 40" tv I use

ahaa that makes sense, it probably still has a brightness setting, might be worth tinkering with :D

thetyreman":3hcjzxeu said:
devonwoody":3hcjzxeu said:
Thanks Matt, my monitor will not do that I don't think, its a 40" tv I use

ahaa that makes sense, it probably still has a brightness setting, might be worth tinkering with :D
Thanks for suggestion, I had forgotten about the tv settings menu and switched it to BackLight Low and that made a difference at Bryce Canyon using Chrome.

Back