bright ideas?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrs. sliver

Established Member
Reaction score
I am doing another craft show in July. I found out from the last one that if you have a 'speciality' you have a better chance of getting a stall because you don't just go down as 'a woodturner' so, if a few woodturners apply, you can switch to just doing your 'thing' eg 'pyrographer'.
I have said if they have another turner, I would be willing to change to 'lighting'. I don't want to go into the electric lights though, because there are legal and safety regulations I should think? I want to stick to candle holders and cold running battery lights.

I do have a few ideas milling around my brain, and have already made a few, But I am wanting any ideas for lighting I have not done yet.

Here's some different ones I have done if it is any help for inspiration. Rustic ones were done endgrain from a log

[

These have test tubes in them to use as bud vases but could easily be adapted as candle sticks. Just make weird shapes and try a bit of offcentre work. People who don't turn are intrigued.

Hope this helps

Pete

Mrs. s wrote:I do have a few ideas milling around my brain,

RUN,RUN for you lives!!!!........Save yourselves!!!!! :shock: :lol:

It depends on the show. I have only done one so far, but they do try to vary the stalls as much as possible. so if they have a regular wood turner or two, they won't want a third. so, if you can go down as a pyrographer. or. wooden toys etc. you may still ge one.

We went to see this particular show last year and they had a turner and 'woodworker', it tends to be first come first served, but if they have been doing it a while I don't want to push my way in!! so I am just adding an option. :-k

mrs. sliver":x7plh2b6 said:
I am doing another craft show in July. I found out from the last one that if you have a 'speciality' you have a better chance of getting a stall because you don't just go down as 'a woodturner' so, if a few woodturners apply, you can switch to just doing your 'thing' eg 'pyrographer'.
I have said if they have another turner, I would be willing to change to 'lighting'. I don't want to go into the electric lights though, because there are legal and safety regulations I should think? I want to stick to candle holders and cold running battery lights.

I do have a few ideas milling around my brain, and have already made a few, But I am wanting any ideas for lighting I have not done yet.

mrs. sliver
Post the venue and perhaps some members will call down and show
some support..
I love craft fairs but do not get them around my area any more..
We have lost most of the traditional clubs and charity's..
worst of all, All the pubs are closing down.....Eeeek

What about this marble and wood game
http://www.cabinfield.com/Common/viewIm ... /small.jpg

The game looks a good idea. I am 'toying' with the idea of making some wooden toys for the Christmas one. :-k

The one in June is in Horbury nr. Wakefield. 21st and 22nd. and is nice little street fayre. I was asked about doing to East coast ones, but I don't think I am ready for that yet. The three I picked are very local and quite small.

Lightweeder":22bnhqbn said:
There's one in Hexham, later in the year, but they want £100 for two days. Car boot for me, I reckon.

Beware car boots!!! that is like selling on ebay!! everyone looking for a bargain, don't want to pay proper prices! :evil:
I just kept a sharp eye out in local press and 'googled' and found a few last year that we visited, then applied for the ones I wanted this year.
The bigger ones do charge more, but tend to have people willing to pay and many more of them.
I have seen some close to us at over £200!! but that is a big day out at a stately home with thousands of visitors. .. we didn't check them out personally ... couldn't afford the entry fee just to look!! :oops:

Anyone can tell that you spend a lot of time and effort on your stuff, and you wouldn't want to give it away. When you're just starting out like me, however, you just want to cover your costs and clear a bit of space. I'd be interested to know how you decide on prices for your things.

I found pricing very difficult!! however, when I first started turning (I don't know how long you have been doing it) I did give all my stuff away. birthdays, christmas, Mothers day and so on. I took some to work and sold them very cheap. any i did not feel were worth having, made interesting fire wood! Once I felt I it was good enough to sell, I just stored it all and priced it by the prices I saw at the other fayres I went to.

The difference of selling one piece at £40 or 8 pieces at £5?
is mainly the cost in time and materials to make either one or eight pieces to replace it for next time!!

Understand what you say Mrs S. I've got less than a year under my belt and am beginning to realise that friends and family will enthuse about anything and everything. Very few people will say they don't like what you've done.

I endorse the ‘No Car Boot Sales’ motto. I did one once and only once. I tend to go for craft shows in locations which I know have a fairly ‘artistic’ or tourist population. Tourists tend to buy smaller items, especially if they are from abroad, so they go for things like Bottle stoppers, key rings and pens. The worst people to have looking at your wonderful items are other turners!!!! :lol:

By the way my last two shows I sold to the following tourists. South Africans, Canadians, Austrians and Scots!!!!

Mrs Sliver just an idea :roll:
candleholdercopy.jpg

I made a couple of these for a friends conservatory about 18" in diameter I think I put about 8 candles in it. Three gold coloured chains hooked on to a roof beam.

scuse the sketch

I'm sure you're right. Despite the fact that I can hardly move for stuff I've made, I think it's a little soon for me from a confidence point of view.

Mrs S, what about lighting and jewellery? Have you done any of that?

Nice one John! and so simple! may have a go at a couple of those, thanks.

No one can tell you when you are ready to start selling. But the nail is smacked on the head when you say it is having the confidence to try it!
If you have pieces you think would sell give it a bash! or maybe ask a local shop if they would put them on sale for you, or even donate a couple to a charity shop and see if they go.
I have never tried any jewelry (since school) but most craft show organisers get seem to be swamped with with 'shiny things' stalls. but I may try a few little bits at some time.

Back