Brief Case

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srt

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, i am making a small brief case with oak which is 470mm x 210mm x 70mm.I have 30mm thick oak boards and would like to make the lid and the base about 6-8 mm give or take would i be able to rip these boards or will i have to plane them down to thickness.I would prefer to rip them as it will be less waste but iam worried if i rip them the might warp too much???

I would be worried about using a solid lid and base out of one piece, if it were me I would make the top and base with veneers glued to a mdf core. If that is not an option then resaw some oak (of the side) and glue about 7 pieces together and plane to your thickness - this will help to help keep the lid and base flat.

Hope that is of some help.

Ian

Hello Ian if i planed it down evenly from each side and take it down to about 6-8 mm would it be free from moving that way?

I know what your saying but it will still want to move and if it were me I would want to minimise that and laminate several pieces.

Just my opinion

Ian

Hi Ian i understand what your saying on laminating,i was also going to mitre the corners would this be strong enough with just glue or would it just open over time?

Mitres are not very strong by themselves - I would add some keys to the out side or if you don't want them to be seen and the inside is being lined then add to the inside. I use the internal type which consists of L shaped pieces of 6mm plywood set into routed grooves.

key.jpg

Will keep them together alot longer.

Best

Ian

I like that idea Ian i have also seen that you can put in splines which also looks good would they provide sufficiant strenght?

Hi Ian firstly thanks for your help much appreciated,it would be for very light use only, i love the boxes you make where do you get your material from for the insides?

Latest posts

Back