Bridges No7 1/2HP double ended grinder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevekane

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, my neighbour is going to throw out an old Bridges grinder, I will hopefully post a photo of the model, the actual one has no paint and looks very sad, I like the fact that its rated at 1/2HP and its all made of really substansial alloy castings. The bad points are that it seems to be largely seized, it can just be turned and when switched on just gives a loud humming, he said its always been like that and he used to give it a spin to set it going before it started to seize up,,,I assume starter issuse? And he thinks that one side of the shaft is bent, the wheel is clearly buckled but I couldnt understand how that could happen and when I lined up something with the end of the shaft it doesnt seem to have any run out so I hopeing its just the knackered old stone. Its a heavy old beast, would look nice cleaned up and could be a usefull bit of kit, anyone know anything about these,,or any thoughts generally?

Attachments

• 2F365C25-507E-4A90-A1F9-A2606658528E.jpeg
    2F365C25-507E-4A90-A1F9-A2606658528E.jpeg
    30.7 KB · Views: 21
Hi there...l not that I know much about electrics but if it’s not induction motor maybe it needs new brushes....either that or a deep clean inside...it certainly looks a beasty....
It’s more than likely the wheels are knackered on the sides....I doubt very much the shaft is bent...

Steve

If I was offered it for free certainly looks worthy of a 2nd life if its anything like build quality of their old drills I have a 50s one i was given that got stripped rewired greased and is real workhorse I use it clamped lin a jig as polishing rig

A lot older stuff was built to last as long as motors not dead everything else should be fixable would be a nice project

Well with that unanimous vote of confidence I will give it a go,,it will be intresting to see whats siezeing it up,,I would have thought it would be mounted on a pair of ball races? Maybe brushes broken up or somthing along those lines, anyway it will be a winter project and I will let you know what I find,
Steve.

Back