Brick floor - any thoughts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJB Temple

Finely figured
Reaction score
I am pondering my project (hopefully soon to begin) to convert my three bay small barn (currently being sed as my timber framing shop) into a kitchen and family room. My original intention was to lay an oak floor or possibly a limestone floor. I am slightly wary of the former as we do have a potential flooding risk in this building (remote but possible).

At the weekend I went to restaurant that had in large areas a brick floor and it looked very good. The area I am dealing with is about 80 square metres for the main room, plus about 30 square metres for a hallway, utility room and loo, and possibly linkage to an outside terrace which is currently excavated to a size of about 30- 40 square metres.

I know I can buy brick slips, but I have no experience of either laying or using a brick floor. Any thoughts on practicality, what I should lay on (just hardcore currently, no membranes, or concrete or anything installed yet) and any other pearls of wisdom.

Thanks, AJ

I would definitely install a membrane.Bricks can be laid onto packed sand over a packed hardcore base. I have also seen bricks laid on sand onto a concrete base, which eliminates the possibility of any settlement which can occur with hardcore. One though for the kitchen is bricks will absorb anything dropped onto them and stain. Quarry tiles would be much better in my opinion

Thanks. However, I dislike the look of quarry tiles. if I do down that route I will use either limestone or York stone. Slate has had the wifely veto for being too dark.

I would think that if there is a potential for flooding, then I would only use bricks as a decorative finish and not as part of the floors structurally integrity.

Put a concrete subfloor in first, hardcore, sand, DPM, insulation etc

I imagine it would be laid in the same construction as a tiled floor.

IE, hardcore, sand blinding, insulation, screed then bricks.

AJ - if you go down the york stone route have a chat with these guys http://www.bingleystone.com/

I have recently modified a kitchen hearth and they supplied a lintel and sawn slabs (to my sizes) for what I thought was a very reason price. They have an amazing mill house/yard with new and reclaimed stock of all sizes. Easy to deal with compared to the 2 earlier outfits that I had tried to deal with!

hanser":17l9jtsp said:
AJ - if you go down the york stone route have a chat with these guys http://www.bingleystone.com/

I have recently modified a kitchen hearth and they supplied a lintel and sawn slabs (to my sizes) for what I thought was a very reason price. They have an amazing mill house/yard with new and reclaimed stock of all sizes. Easy to deal with compared to the 2 earlier outfits that I had tried to deal with!

I'm in market for loads of paving slabs as well in a couple of months, checked their prices and they are like 2-3x more expensive on everything....Not sure how such places stay afloat these days when everyone can just find much cheaper places in a couple of minutes, custom work maybe?

MrDavidRoberts":17decnam said:
hanser":17decnam said:

I'm in market for loads of paving slabs as well in a couple of months, checked their prices and they are like 2-3x more expensive on everything....Not sure how such places stay afloat these days when everyone can just find much cheaper places in a couple of minutes, custom work maybe?

Delivered to Hampshire and including VAT their online quote just gave a result of £97 per sq m for reclaimed yorkstone. If you can let me know where you are getting quoted £30 - 50 per sq m I'd be most grateful.

Thanks,
Terry.

Wizard9999":231ni1a3 said:
MrDavidRoberts":231ni1a3 said:
hanser":231ni1a3 said:

Delivered to Hampshire and including VAT their online quote just gave a result of £97 per sq m for reclaimed yorkstone. If you can let me know where you are getting quoted £30 - 50 per sq m I'd be most grateful.

Thanks,
Terry.

I just checked few types of paving I know prices of and that were of interest to me , I'm not sure what the stuff costs what you are looking for or what exactly you are looking for but first check the hundreds of places which advertises on Ebay!

Mr DavidRoberts

I'm sure AJB Temple can check out prices etc. By posting a recommend for Bingley Stone I hoped to give him a first pointer based on a recent personal experience and the rest is then down to him. One man's opinion on what constitutes 'value' can be very different to the next. I had to postpone scaffolding and a chimney lining for a month due to the problems I had with the 2 earlier suppliers (found on Ebay) that my previous mail referred to. Bingley Stone had my order ready within 7 days. As to price - I paid £62 for one M2 comprising 6 x 38mm cathedral flags cut to my dimensions. Quality buff york stone, perfectly flat and square, palletised for collection (along with the lintel) on a Sat morning and only 70 mile odd north of me. What's not to like?

Back