Breastfeeding in public

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you agree with breastfeeding in public

• Yes

Votes: 23 88.5%
  • No

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Max Power

Established Member
Reaction score
Saw an article today about a young woman who was told off by a group of three people for feeding her baby.
She was so upset she got a large group of young mothers around to do the same.

I think new mothers should be given a phone number they can dial any time someone hassles them or makes them feel uncomfortable about feeding their child.
Upon receiving the call, a dispatcher will contact a local volunteer who will turn up on the scene as fast as possible and deliver a full-force running kick up the backside to the moron who's kicked up a stink about something nobody should have any objection to.

I hereby volunteer as a running kicker when the service goes live.

I don't do it myself so I've never had any complaints.

Roy.

I have often looked a bit of a tit in public - does that count?

Si.

Nothing for anyone to complain about> :)

Roy.

Some people seem to go out of their way to find things to be offended by, they clearly have far too much time on their hands, a pity they can't think of something useful to do with it.

Couldnt agree more, one of the nicest sights in nature is to see a baby of any species being fed by it's mother :ho2
Its obviously a controversial issue though, as the part of my original post where I jokingly made reference to the Jim Carrey movie "Me Myself and Irene" received a complaint and had to be removed :lol: :lol: :lol:

When my daughter was a few weeks old my wife and I were in a small restaurant and having asked the proprietor if we could have a corner table and specifically if it was ok for my wife to breastfeed he was fine and said he had no problem with us looking after our babies needs.

Shortly after my wife started feeding Amy - very discreetly - a young waitress came across and asked my wife to stop as it was offending a man at a nearby table even though my wife had her back to him and he could not see anything. She said he had suggested my wife should feed our child in the toilet!

I told her the owner had ok'd us feeding our child and she should speak with him.

What happened next was unbelievable - the waitress disappeared through to the kitchen and a couple of minutes later the owner/chef came through to the restaurant in his whites carrying a tray, approached the gentleman in question and promptly picked up his plate whilst he was eating and asked the male diner to follow him.

The male diner asked where to to which the chef/owner loudly announced in a raised voice for all diners to hear "The Gentlemans toilet Sir - If it is good enough for a baby Sir I'm sure you won't have any qualms with eating your meal in there will you?"

At this point the man asked for his plate back and turned to our table and apologised - The chef duly returning to his kitchen giving me a subtle wink on his way.

We finished our meal and were amazed when we came to pay the bill the waiter asked us to wait a moment and again went and fetched the chef - He promptly apologised to us and waived the bill - I said there was no need whatsoever but he simply replied

"Sir - my pleasure!"

I hasten to add that we went back to the restaurant on numerous occasions after this happened but regrettably the chef/owner passed away a few years ago and since changing hands the restaurant has become a greasy spoon type cafe.

Yeah! way to go Rog. I agree that no one should complain about somthing that is the most natural thing in the world. It makes me wonder where these people who complain were fed as a baby? :roll:

That's brilliant. I've always been immensely proud that my wife managed to breast feed our kids and we never had any trouble in public. Lord help anyone who did say something - she'd have torn them apart with her tongue :)

KL.jpg

Last time I tried Breast Feeding in Public I got arrested, perhaps I should have asked first, or at least introduced myself.

DRINK!

RESULT Roger =D> , and a right and proper attitude by the owner, disgraceful expecting a baby to feed in a toilet, the man should of been ashamed to request it :evil:

You go abroad and see topless females by the pool and on the beach so why should anyone find it offensive when a women is doing what comes naturally, Roger brilliant story about restaurant.

Our health centre has a sign in the waiting area saying 'Breast feeding welcome'.

Stew

Well do to the that restaurant Dodge, if I was there I would have shaken the hand of that Chef.

+1 for being happy with breastfeeding in public places (provided the recipient is under 18 months of age that is :lol: :lol: ) and also +1 for enjoying the restaurant story. The offensive man should have paid for the couples meal, not the chef!!

Mike

I don't know if the semi-hostile tone of these threads pushes away people who may make opposing comments, but I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly who it is that gets offended by public breastfeeding.
In every discussion I've ever seen or heard of the matter there's never been a single person who actually believed it was offensive and should be hidden away.

While the restaurant story has a funny side, I actually feel for the guy in a way. The attitude of the owner/chef is commendable, and while I see that objecting to someone breastfeeding would be mortifying for the mother - I'm no fan of public shaming like that.
Can't pretend I didn't laugh while reading it though. :p

Well....................

At enormous risk of being battered into the ground, I'm gonna stick my hand up and say that there have been times I've felt uncomfortable in the vicinity of a female breastfeeding :roll: though I would NEVER complain.

I have absolutely no issue with it in principle and it's quite right that a mother should be empowered to so do in any suitable public area - however - some of these mothers can be far from descreet and thereby lies any potential issues.

I have no wish to watch a sometimes very large mother with her equally large infant hanging from an enormous, completely exposed boob! Might be construed as natural but not a pretty sight whilst a young woman quietly and desceetly feeding her child is a heartwaming sight.

OK =- call me a prude if you will (hammer)

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back