Breadboard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garywayne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

My wife came home from work yesterday announcing that I have been commissioned, I immediately went into panic mode and asked what was needed of me. Apparently a workmate of my wifes requires a breadboard, she has asked for it to be made of one piece of wood because the old one keeps splitting down the joints. ( She more than likely soaks it in the washing up bowl). I told my wife that a single piece would cup badly due to the growth rings. I also told her that i believe there are two ways to do the job.

1) Joint the wood with the growth rings on the ends going in alternate directions to stabilize the wood, using a waterproof glue.

OR

2) Make the board with lots of 2" by 2" by 2" stuck together. (I'm not sure which way the blocks stand up. Either end grain up or side up).

What would be the best way to do this project, and what wood would be most appropriate?

I wont apologize for waffling on, because being a total novice i am relying on you to pick me up on anything that i get wrong.

Yours gratefully, - Gary.

I can't comment on construction methods (being a newbie myself)

However...

I have many Wooden Chopping boards. From memory all are made from many blocks of wood. Never had any of them split. Submerging wooden chopping boards in water for any length of time is never advisable. Why would you want to?

I don't believe that nobody out there knows how to make a bread board, or chopping block, or whatever you want to call it, or what wood is best.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I am a Guy with a broken leg for the passed four years and I get very frustrated with my limitations. I am trying to get into woodwork, I know sodall, and I don't seem to get any support on making a simple bread board from all you craftsmen / women. You have been so helpful before.

Maybe I'm just a bit depressed, I do apologize, I don't mean to take it out on you people, I just want to make a bread board for my wifes workmate.

Ach, let's take a shot at it then - never made one, mind.

First up, no breadboard is going to stand up to the dishwasher. I think there are "wooden" boards marketed as being able to withstand that, but I imagine they're so impregnated and coated with this 'n' that they're no more wood than the printed veneer on an Argos wardrobe. So go no further without getting it through her head that the dishwasher is a no-no.

Joining up a few boards seems fine to me. If you can use quarter-sawn boards then cupping won't be an issue anyway. Or rip your boards fairly narrow to minimise the problem. Glue choice, well I dunno. Polyurethane mebbe? Not sure to be honest. Wood choice, well beech and sycamore are pretty traditional and would be my choice. Avoid anything spalted 'cos the spores aren't good for food safe items apparently.

Cheers, Alf

Try surfing the web for Wood suitible for food. I am sure my Chopping Blocks are made of Cherry and Maple. The blocks are irregular sizes and all are end grain facing up.

Thank you for your response.

Alf, I totaly agree that the woman needs beating with a wet bread board. (hammer) Your views and ideas will come in very handy. :mrgreen:

WiZeR, I have tried searching under, "make your own bread board", and, "make your own chopping board".
Under bread boards, the sites where to do with electronics. ](*,) Under chopping blocks, everyone wanted to sell them.

That link you gave me was spot on, don't know how you found it, but it's just what the doctor ordered. :eek:ccasion5:

Thank you both very much.
Gary.

Hi Gary,

As Alf says, sycamore is a favourite choice for any surface involving food preparation as it has no discernable taste so won't transfer to more delicately flavoured stuff that is being prepared.

Andy

I usually keep the cutouts from solid wood worktops for making chopping boards, not much use if you don't regularly fit worktops though.

Have a look at Aragorn's post Here stop at the point where he slices them up into endgrain blocks.

Jason

Hello Gary,

I've cut out several breadboard/chopping boards from off cuts of laminated kitchen worktops. No idea what the original timber was - could be beech? They seemed to have survived quite well including warm water washing. I coated them with cellulose sanding sealer and 3/4 coats of olive oil.

Cheers,
Jim

Gower":y4otq3po said:
They seemed to have survived quite well including warm water washing. I coated them with cellulose sanding sealer and 3/4 coats of olive oil.

Most wooden kitchen stuff will survive a quick wash with hot soapy water, its the long (over night) soak or the weekly trip though the dish washer that causes the problems. :x

I new I could rely on you guys.

It just so happens that while my wife and I where at our local car boot sale on Sunday, and sitting in a trailer was a solid wood, work top off cut.
"£1.00, That will do nicely thank you".

WiZeR, - excellent link. I will add that one to my favorites list for later.

jasonB, - I'll keep this one on file as well. Thanks for the link. And thank you Aragorn.

A big thank you to all for your replies.

Gary.

Back