Bread -n- Butter Job

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trafalgar

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I've done a few of these, folks seem to love them, this one took about twenty hours from a dead start with rough lumber and all hand tools:

http://s804.photobucket.com/user/charli ... Commission

I did the rip and reglue cha-cha-cha to get the apron and drawer fronts out of one, nice board.

I wish in retrospect that I had done the breadboard joinery stopped at the ends so the tenon would not show.

Yep, I hate them. This client won't mind but I do hate them. I've vowed to never do one that way again even if asked. It is faster to run the groove right through but in the end isn't worth it.

The drawer fronts and apron are a better color match (actually a perfect match, they're from the same board) than the photos show -- damned IPad camera (wife's). Don't like it much.

Very attractive indeed. If my skill level improves sufficiently I hope to make something similar.

John

A personal taste I suppose, although I don't think it detracts from the work in any way.

Strange how small detail can affect (positively or not) the overall piece. What is the location for the table? is it a 'farmhouse' or rural setting? if so I feel it would fit right in.

My broswer is not allowing me to view the photographs properly, however from what I can see the quality of the work and choice of timbers is in no doubt.

In case I missed it, what kind of wood(s) have you used?

David

Twenty hours, that's pretty fast. With proper drawer slips too. Well done that man!

That kind of two drawer writing desk/hall table/dressing table/bonheur de jour really is a winner isn't it. Every home can find use for one (or two!), they show well chosen wood to great advantage, and they're a delight to make in a one man workshop.

I'm surprised more people on this forum don't have a project like that clearly in their sights as their furniture making ambition. Working up through a side table without a drawer to get the basics right, then a side table with a single drawer to sort out their joinery and drawer making/fitting technique, and finally on to the two drawer desk itself using all they've learnt on the earlier projects.

Brilliant job, very well done, I'm sure the client is delighted!

Like Custard said!
No time for standing back and admiring or deciding on what techniques to use.
Are those slips the flat topped sort or with a quadrant?

Bluekingfisher":12ugcaob said:
A personal taste I suppose, although I don't think it detracts from the work in any way.

Strange how small detail can affect (positively or not) the overall piece. What is the location for the table? is it a 'farmhouse' or rural setting? if so I feel it would fit right in.

My broswer is not allowing me to view the photographs properly, however from what I can see the quality of the work and choice of timbers is in no doubt.

In case I missed it, what kind of wood(s) have you used?

David

American black walnut and poplar as a secondary wood, oak for the slips. The walnut came to me sight unseen, and wasn't too bad.

custard":spjvaik3 said:
Twenty hours, that's pretty fast. With proper drawer slips too. Well done that man!

That kind of two drawer writing desk/hall table/dressing table/bonheur de jour really is a winner isn't it. Every home can find use for one (or two!), they show well chosen wood to great advantage, and they're a delight to make in a one man workshop.

I'm surprised more people on this forum don't have a project like that clearly in their sights as their furniture making ambition. Working up through a side table without a drawer to get the basics right, then a side table with a single drawer to sort out their joinery and drawer making/fitting technique, and finally on to the two drawer desk itself using all they've learnt on the earlier projects.

Brilliant job, very well done, I'm sure the client is delighted!

The slips were the regular grooved variety with the top edge a bit rounded over. I made them out of quartersawn oak in the usual way, I worked the slips on a long, wide-ish board and ripped them off. One length made enough for both drawers so it was very fast.

CStanford":qbpm6flz said:
American black walnut and poplar as a secondary wood, oak for the slips. The walnut came to me sight unseen, and wasn't too bad.

I very much like walnut, it's a treat to work and as long as it isn't kept in front of a south facing window it just gets lovelier and lovelier as the years go by.

But I've never really got my head around the different types of walnut, Juglans Regia (English or European Walnut) and Juglans Nigra (American or Black Walnut). From what i understand it's only Regia that crops edible nuts, and Regia is often grafted onto Nigra in order to get a commercial crop on a tree that thrives in local conditions.

Here's where the confusion starts, I've seen timber that really knowledgeable brokers describe as Regia (and that the FSC certification clearly shows has been grown in Europe), that's every bit as dark as the darkest Nigra I've seen. Furthermore, walnut growing in America is a big commercial business, using Regia variants, so why don't we see lots of the paler walnut available as American walnut? The really pale walnut with almost a faint blue-green tinge is something I've only ever seen in the UK.

Then to make things even more complicated, I used to live in California, where walnut was often described as Claro (with a hefty price premium) when to my eyes it looked no different from Nigra, and in fact I once heard that grafting Regia onto Nigra for Californian commercial walnut farms tends to trigger wilder grain, which then often gets misdescribed as Claro in order to gain a price premium!

All very confusing.

Plus you then get steamed and unsteamed, more so in the US than in Europe but I've occasionally seen it done here as well. I understand why steaming takes place, to even up the heart wood and sap wood, but it just makes the boards muddy and leaves the grain indistinct. In my view it's a retrograde step even though timber yards usually talk about it like it's a major plus.

Net result is that I tend to ignore the descriptions and just look at the boards in front of me when I'm buying walnut, if it's beautiful and fits the cutting list then I'll buy, if it doesn't then I won't.

Anyhow, long ramble but your walnut looks pretty good, Regia or Nigra or Claro or whatever!

I like Bread -n- Butter. Good bread is tasty and good butter makes it even better. As mentioned above any home could find space for one of these and also a great project for any skill level. I'd agree on the breadboard ends but that does not detract from the craftsmanship, excellent!

Interesting bit about Claro walnut (and more from Wikipedia):

Lumber

The wood of Juglans hindsi is commonly called Claro walnut by the lumber industry and woodworkers.[7] It is highly figured with a rich brown color and striking grain patterns, especially in the crotch areas, where large limbs meet the trunk.[8] It is used in small quantities to make fine furniture and gun stocks, and sold as slabs to make large natural-top tables because of its durability, good working properties, and swirling iridescent figure.

Some confusion exists about the nature of Claro walnut because Juglans hindsii is commonly used as the rootstock of orchard trees. The section below the original graft is Claro walnut wood, while the section above is the lighter-colored English walnut. Some woodworkers have even taken advantage of this by making the change in color of the wood a feature of their work.[9]

Conservation

Juglans hindsii has only one confirmed native stand remaining. It is listed as Seriously Endangered on the California Native Plant Society Rare Plant Inventory. [3] The IUCN classification is a Vulnerable species. It is threatened by hybridization with orchard trees, urbanization, and habitat conversion to agriculture.

I assume the orchard trees do not come to market as long as they're producing. When they do, it likely could be to the veneer trade where all the best logs go.

The cheapest I've seen Juglans Nigra of any grade is $10/bd. ft. (of late) which was about the cost of the stock in my project. The grade book is somewhat out the window anyway -- you take what you can get.

A lovely piece, although I'm 50 / 50 on the breadboard ends tenons showing.

Can I make a plea though on behalf of the "differently skilled" members? Can we have a little less of the "Bread and butter" & "..24 hours..." type phrases please? *shrugs* :)

Nice job Charles! The bread board ends do not bother me at all with the style of the table (and, for me at least, add to the visual interest). The other thing I like is the thickness of the table top. Too many times (and I'm guilty) the tops are 3/4" thick and then have some sort of profile added. Yours has a real nice appeal to it.

T.Z.

Thanks Tony... I was a little tired and didn't want to plane any more off the top. Had it pretty flat too so I thought I'd found a good stopping spot. It is a little thicker than the others I've done in this style and size. No going back now!

24 hours is FAST, either that or I am very slow, or more likely both. I like seeing the tenons on the breadboard ends, I know that joints are usually "hidden" but I like to see them, I like designs that show how things are made, like Victorian machines or bicycles, I'm sure many customers would agree.
Paddy

I don't know Paddy. There was a study of the Philadelphia Price Book of 1772 and my little table would probably have been a ten to fifteen hour job. I did use hot hide glue and I didn't wait around for it to get rock hard which the old guys could not possibly have done either given their speed.

Appreciate your comments and others' as well.

CStanford":tw9e9xyv said:
Thanks Tony... I was a little tired and didn't want to plane any more off the top. Had it pretty flat too so I thought I'd found a good stopping spot. It is a little thicker than the others I've done in this style and size. No going back now!

Next table I build will try a similar top thickness. You hit the right balance with it!

Well Charles , my opinion as a craftsperson being worthless , I will just say that I like the visible ends on the breadboard. To me it just fits my own taste. The wood choice and level of craftsmanship make it a piece I would love to have on display. As far as the 20 hours goes , sometimes takes me that long to move the wifes stuff out of my "shop" and then make a small toy for my daughter , but I ain't tryin to make no living at this. Probably a good thing too , as I would surely starve!

Latest posts

Back