bread making a change of technique

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
We have modified our breadmaking technique to the following, twice now and both successful.

Set oven to 60C (fan or rad.)
Prove dried yeast granules with warm water in oven at 60C for 15 minutes.

Make your dough in your usual fashion.

Put dough into the same oven (in tin) at 60C to rise for 30 minutes.

DO NOT TAKE BREAD OUT OF THE OVEN AT 30minutes but increase temperature to 230C for 15 minutes and another 15 minutes at 200C, all in fan oven. Do not bother to cover dough when getting the first rise, just leave dough in open tin.

2004_0129bread0002w.jpg

mmm, that makes me hungry just looking at it. love the smell and taste of fresh bread straight from the oven. May I ask what amount of ingredients you use ? Recipe ?

In my younger years most people would get a burger or kebab on the way home from a night out. Not me, I used to walk past a bakers. A knock on the door and walk the rest of the way home picking at a fresh loaf of bread straight from the bakers oven.

500grms of strong Allinson flour
15 grms of Allinson dried granule yeast.
1 tespoon of caster sugar
1 teaspoon of salt.
10grms butter

mix yeast with 5 0zs of warm water in oven for 15 minutes

Put yeast when risen in 500 grms of flour and upto 12 ozs of warm water which has salt and butter already added..

we have a Kenwood chef with a dough hook which is used for ten minutes.
Then put in oven for 30 minutes to rise and another 30 minutes to bake as per instructions above.

wonderful, thanks very much. i'm off to the shops to get the ingredients right now.... knew i'd find a use for the dough hook on my kenwood kmix at some time. only ever made bread in a bread making machine before and it was rubbish so sold it. fresh bread for tea :D

Yeah! breadmaking. I do use a wooden spoon, so I think this is fair play for a woodwork forum.
Our family recipe is quite simple*. But always keen to experiment so I'll try your method soon.

*lets see if I can remember it :

mix in a bowl:
2 lbs strong brown flour
1 lb white bread flour
4 tsp quick yeast
1 pinch salt

measure together in a jug then add to dry ingredients:
1.5 pints water (half boiling/half cool)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp honey

Mix it all together (softwood spoon, unfinished, lightly scorched) and leave for 10mins.
Knead for 10mins
Leave covered to rise for 30mins
Knock back and divide into 3 oiled tins.
Leave covered to rise for 30mins
Bake for 30mins in preheated oven @ 200c

Will you guys please stop torturing me?

I look at a slice of bread and I put on 5 lbs! But I refuse to eat my bacon and eggs without a slice or two!
:lol:

Yummy!

John :D

Benchwayze":2jfu9loo said:
Will you guys please stop torturing me?

I look at a slice of bread and I put on 5 lbs!
John :D

John, I suggest you do a bit of flab fighting prior to the 24th July :wink: :whistle: - Rob

Well I am starting a new bench Rob. In concert with Byron, but mine will be the 'French-Bench' version!

Lumping a 6 foot by 2 foot by 4 inch slab about should help!

John :)

Back