Bread Makers - practical solution or a marketing exercise?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brilliant things. We bake at least one loaf a day, sometimes more. We had a cheap one at first and when it packed up we bought, on advice, a Panasonic. It's more expensive but superb - far better texture and flavour and it does a loaf more than large enough for sandwiches for a family of four. In a year, ours has easily justified its purchase on cost alone.

A wide variety of breads can be done with the machine, but if you want to be more adventurous you can use it for the hard work and then bake in the oven. It also does a good pizza dough too.

I used to wonder what the fuss was about, but I wouldn't be without ours now.

Dave

We have a Panasonic. We make all our bread in it, mainly wholemeal (rye, a little white rest wholemeal, all organic although I dont know if it makes a difference). Fruit loaf works well. Worn out one paddle, another due soon. Contrary to a previous post we find the bread lasts well - but then we do know how fresh it is and what goes into it.
Bob

I have had a Panasonic for many years - great machines - used it this morning.
I generally make a Ciabatto? recipe which uses olive oil.
It keeps very well but gets eaten very quickly! :)
No preservatives - just flour, water, oil, yeast and a very small amount of salt and sugar (1 teaspoon).
You just add the ingredients to the container, set the controls and 4hrs later a lovely loaf of bread - simple!

Rod

I have a Morphy Richards one, have no problem with the bread not lasting because its no chemicals in it, a loaf has gone within a couple of hours of coming out of the bread maker. Fresh cooked bread, when you've been smelling it cooking, with loads of butter melting cos the bread is warm, sheer bliss. It rarely gets cold.

Mick.

On my second machine now. Used to use it a lot, 2-3 times per week. Loved it for rolls, mix in the machine then rise in the airing cupboard and bake in the oven, excellent.

Current machine doesn't get that much use as SWMBO is not too keen on the bread, personally I would use it more.

The current machine gets around the hole in the bottom problem mostly. It has a hinged mixer and at the end of the mixing it back turns a bit which hinges the mixer paddle down out of the way.

I have a Panasonic SD255 - £86 on Amazon.
Makes excellent bread, just follow the recipes in the instruction book.
OK, it doesn't last as long as shop bread, but is much nicer and you control what goes in.
I'd say anything less than the Panasonic is a false economy.
Making bread from scratch yourself is better, but more long winded, especially if you prove the dough in the fridge overnight.
You can use a Magimix to mix dough, but you need to leave it for a long time for the gluten to develop.
Best book I've seen on bread making is Dough by Richard Bertinet.

We use it for the mixing only and then make rolls, leave in a warm place (on top of the AGA), when risen bake for 6 to 8 mins.

To make them last the week, as soon as they have cooled down put them in the freezer. Each morning take out as many as needed for that day and thaw them or even warm them in the oven.

Hello all,

we also have a panasonic bread maker, have had it five or six years now, it was best buy recommended by which magazine. We ( me ) use it several times a week, sometimes use packet mixes but mainly ingredients per the recipe book that came with it.
The bread is superb and may not last as long as shop bought bread, but a loaf does not last long in a family of five.
My favourite by far is home made malt loaf........I can feel the pounds going on my waistline just by thinking about it,,,,cleaning it is a doddle, the whole process is so easy and it makes the house smell lovely....
thats enough from me I can sense another loaf coming on

GT

BMac":2d7eji7f said:
You've got me interested in bread makers now. I did a quick run through Which? Online and found this Morphy-Richards that they score a bit higher than Panasonic and it's half the price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Morphy-Richards ... d_sxp_f_pt

Any opinions please? I don't mind paying for a Panasonic but is it worth the difference?

Brendan

i have a morphy richards - an older version and its great. TBH the novelty kind of wore off and it sees little use - but it does make great bread. supermarkets sell pre mixed bags ready to just chuck in with the water

Well guys after following this thread I have finally bought a Panasonic 255. I wish I had bought it when the thread started as they were £11 cheaper :( , hey ho. Could anyone kindly give me the ingredients I will need for a brown loaf, or any tips for making better bread please?

TIA

Phil

Hi,

We use the recipies in the book they turn out fine.

Pete

I have read the recipes work Pete, but I'm hoping someone can give me a heads up on what I need before the bread maker arrives. I can then start playing with my new toy straight away without having to go to the shop :D

Phil

This is not how the purists do it...

I've started making basic bread again (because I can) in an old Russell Hobbs breadmaker I bought in a Sainsbury's sale ten years ago.

Today I bought:
Hovis strong white flour (look for the one marked for breadmakers)
Hovis Yeast (sachets in a yellow packet)
Dried Milk (Marvel, though I prefer generic as it is cheaper)
You will also probably need some butter, salt, sugar.

That's it for basic bread (according to mine). It makes quite acceptable bread, quite rich, excellent for toast and croutons as well.

You can get into nuts & raisins, cinnamon etc later. That first slice, eaten too warm with melting butter is a great taste!

I used one successfully for a couple of years (forget the make) but the worst thing about it was the mess carving off slices and the fact that I could only hack doorsteps.

I suspect that if I'd honed a finer bevel at 13.255075 deg each side of the knife bevel I'd have been able to slice off bits 10thou thick :lol: - Rob

Back