Braze or solder broken cast iron plane sides?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

sploo

Somewhat extinguished member
Reaction score
I only have one of the cheap gasless MIG welders (and a level of talent with it that needs a grinder and paint afterwards), so I assume trying that would be a really bad idea.

Setch

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm sure someone on here, possibly now decamped to the a different place, used to regularly post work in progress photos which showed a no.4 with a brass repair plate screwed/riveted across a crack in the casting. It looked a bit Frankenstein, but was his goto plane.

Edit - here you go:

A forum search for "AndyT plane repair" turned this up.

Threadedpipe

Reaction score
Cast can be welded using a cast iron suitable rod on a stick welder mig welding on cast I have done but u have to control the cooling process with oxy acetylene to stop weld fracture far from easy to do

John Hall

Established Member
Reaction score
If it has sentimental reasons for keeping, I’d definitely leave it to a professional or you could end up with a piece of scrap

Reaction score
It may be possible to put brass dowel pins (nails) in to the plane and 'new' shaped side piece of steel /iron and join the scribed meeting edges using a thin line of metal weld type paste. Best not to do too much as it becomes what is or was not. Total restoration is not best. Flat planing would be OK. This is done on m/cycle side-valve heads. A honest repair.
Best wishes to all.

--Tom--

Established Member
Reaction score
If you made the missing piece from brass too and then brazed it on it would show the old vs the new in an honest way rather than look like a crack full of braze. Would have a higher chance of success and look good too

sploo

Somewhat extinguished member
Reaction score
I have considered a JB Weld style epoxy to "glue" a new part on (instead of brazing or welding).

Spectric

Established Member
Reaction score
especially when it comes to Tig which is a steep learning curve
The hardest thing about TIG is keeping the tungsten gap constant and feeding the filler rod in which is like a dipping motion, much easier if you have gas welding experience. TIG is the ultimate welding process, all positions, any direction and so easy to join thin gauge material to much heavier gauge so a process worth the practice. You also want HF start and cleanliness, acetone is a great cleaner for TIG welding and don't wear heavy welding gloves, just lightweight gloves and if using a watercooled torch then wrap the cables round your arm for added support.

rafezetter

Troll Hunter
Reaction score
I've been meaning to repair a cracked chipped off rear corner of a #5, by smoothing off the rough edge then adding some brass soldered on and then drill and tap some brass screws, then file off the head - all of which is a bit fiddle hence it still being on "round tuit" list - I'd be interested to see your repair.