Brass nails

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScaredyCat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Not been around for a bit, this year has been utterly terrible for the wife and I so I took a break from my woodworking (well pretty much everything) for a while. I decided that I'd try and make the wife a present, a jewlery box, to cheer her up a bit. It's unfinished at the moment (photos later when I get home) but I've mitred the corners, cut spline 'holes' and will be adding the splines and cutting off the top in due course.

In an unprecedented feat of foresight, I've ordered some hinges and a clasp ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07QFVDZ2K ) - I've no idea of the quality (not yet arrived) and not sure where else I can go for parts like that at a reasonable cost. Anyway, it comes with brass nails.

Now I know if i use brass screws I'm supposed to predrill and then use a normal screw before using the brass one, but I've never used brass nails and I can't find anything useful. I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to fit them. Surely they'll need enough force to drive them, but that force could break the box itself.

Is there a special method for using them? I thought about predrilling with a very fine bit and then tipping them with surperglue and tapping them home but I though I'd better ask some people who know about this sort of thing.

Or should I just drop the nails and use screws instead?

Any advice appreciated.

I have fixed hinges that had loose brass nails, I did exactly what you said, drilled and then glued the nails in, seemed to work well.

ScaredyCat":3gkyllj8 said:
Ok, thanks I'll give that a go then.

Be careful tapping the nails in, wear some safety glasses. I put a touch too much glue in a hole once and when I tapped in the nail the glue shot out into my face. Luckily I was wearing glasses.

Back