Brass Kitchen Door Treatment?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyBoyd

Established Member
Reaction score
We have a house in France we are rennovating to retire to and a new kitchen is in the plan (actually everyting is in the plan from all new floors/electric/windows etc etc) But we are now thinking about the Kitchen

We will probably use an IKEA base unit design of one central island with all the cupboards in it, with one wall holding the ovens fridge etc.

We have a limestone wall which is the original gable end in the kitchen at about 7.5 m high to its apex and the colour of this wall is governing the colour choices in the kitchen.

We came across this photo of an artists house in the Netherlands where the artist and his wife made most things, and it included a brass covering to the kitchen doors

see photo
datetaken

I can make various metal bending machines but was wondering how to get that distressed/oxidation/markings on the brass itself? Any budding alchemists out there who know how to do this?

Much appreciated

Attachments

• 41307648125_c41915d661_z.jpg
    41307648125_c41915d661_z.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 86
I have used treatments in the past to make shiny brass look old but it just turns it all dark brown and then you then treat it with Jade Oil to stop the treatment going further.

But here I'd like to mimic that random mottled effect if possible

AndyBoyd":1hmexzhq said:
I have used treatments in the past to make shiny brass look old but it just turns it all dark brown...
Assuming that's the type of thing that was used the mottled result is down to how the patinating liquid was applied.

How close do you really need to get to that exact result? Because it's very particular and you might need to use the exact same method to replicate it, and finding that out could prove difficult to say the least. Warning, complete guess follows: looking at the photo and ignoring that it's brass, just trying to imagine how a texture of that sort might have been created, it occurs to me that it looks quite a bit like some patterns you can get using marbling techniques. And if that's how it was done the colouring might be nothing more sophisticated than dark green and umber paint! In fact extending that thought further, this can be entirely created as a paint effect, meaning the substrate doesn't even need to be brass.

Back