Brass/Gold powder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duiker

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've seen this mentioned in the "Gallery" and elsewhere to fill gaps or give effect. I've never seen this "to buy" and would like to give it a go. Can anyone point me to a mail order (internet) retailer?

Cheers,

Mick

Duiker

My local art supply shop in Alkmaar has Brass powder (and gold and silver) I just mixed this with normal epoxy resin (2 component glue).

It was a bit expensive though 20 € a small bottle I seem to remember.
Why not try an Art shop near you?

Or let me know if you want the address etc in Alkmaar.

Groeten

Hi Duiker

I make my own brass, bronze, stone powder. In my case, I put a piece of the material I want in the chuck of the metal lathe, put a cloth over the bed, and take small cuts. The resulting chips work great.

You can also use "glitter" flakes available from a craft type store.

This can also be done on a wood lathe. Brass and bronze and softer stone (soapstone, alabaster) can easily be worked with any wood turning tool. You can actually use any sharpened piece of steel.(Old files ect.)

Take very small cuts and keep the tool rest as close to the work as possible.

Copper pipe from the plumbing section of the local diy works good as well.

Whatever metal you use, it seems best to make it as you need it as the metal chips oxidize from sitting around and lose their shine.

I have used five minute epoxy, special very thin epoxy that jewellers use and half hour epoxy with equal success. The secret seems to be to leave the stuff to set for at least a week. If you try to turn it sooner it seems to go cloudy and chunks rip out.

This is by no means the definitive answer, just the way I do it.

Hope this helps

Tom

Hi Mick,

I don't know if its the cheapest place but I've bought it off the bay before from these people.
The bottles make it easy to use but dont get glue on the end of them :oops:

cd

Hi.

I have been using coloured powder paint, tapioca/rice mix and fibreglass resin. the tapioca/rice mix shows up lovely and is like a marble effect when turned. One thing though put the rice through a blender to break them into smaller pieces.

Woodie :wink:

This is going to be the most vague post ever.

At school we used some kind of gold cream.It came in gold,bronze and silver.
A bit like toothpaste, you just put it on a cloth and placed it in the required area and it gave a supperb effect.

Ive no idea what its called but Im sure ive seen it near all the picture frame section in Hobbycraft.

I'm pretty sure some brands still come in tubes.

Wonderwoman, the gold you are thinking of is called "Gold Finger" comes in 38mls tubes in several shades of gold as well as copper, silver and pewter. Its available in most good art shops about £7 a tube. You could also try "Treasure Gold" which comes in pots and is a little thicker.

Jason

Back