Brass butt hinges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coulley

Reaction score
Hello all, I am trying to find good quality 25mm brass hinges for a box. Does anyone know and can recommend a good supplier, many thanks.
Coullie

Brusso ones are nice but expensive. Classic hand tools do them, try SDS london as well.
I have a fairly decent local ironmongery store who got some for me last time they were drawn brass and quite nice but I cant remember the brand.
For boxes I like the neat hinges from Ian Hawthorne but again not cheap.

Ollie

Brusso ones are nice but expensive. Classic hand tools do them, try SDS london as well.
I have a fairly decent local ironmongery store who got some for me last time they were drawn brass and quite nice but I cant remember the brand.
For boxes I like the neat hinges from Ian Hawthorne but again not cheap.

Ollie
Thank you Ollie, appreciated

I like making boxes with tilt hinges. just a wire nail and a few leather washers. it seems crazy paying loads for hinges having tried to sell many boxes over the years

Attachments

• 1635800205972358990270095436152.jpg
    1635800205972358990270095436152.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 71
the ones I like the most are brusso especially their stop butt hinges, expensive but worth it.

I've had some nice ones from Ironmongery Direct .I find their quality is usually a bit above Screwfix stuff.

you basically wedge the lid in the correct position then drill( the same size as the nail) through the box into the lid maybe an inch or less forward of the back of the box. accuracy is pretty important so. use a pillar drill. put the nail in and see how it works. to open push the lid at the back and it lifts at the front. also it acts as a stop.on the final assembly put a bit of epoxy in the lid nail hole. trap some leather washers between the li and the box it stops rattling. finally chop the nail with a dremel.

Attachments

• 16358777224425584776890885396022.jpg
    16358777224425584776890885396022.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 16358777710051331255877039338027.jpg
    16358777710051331255877039338027.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 44
I like making boxes with tilt hinges. just a wire nail and a few leather washers. it seems crazy paying loads for hinges having tried to sell many boxes over the years

I like the look of that any chance you could explain more about it.
I like making boxes but there is no way I could justify paying silly money for Rolls Royce hinges and locks.
I have in the past used hinges and locks from prokraft with good results but it is now my ambition to make boxes from off cuts at zero cost.

you basically wedge the lid in the correct position then drill( the same size as the nail) through the box into the lid maybe an inch or less forward of the back of the box. accuracy is pretty important so. use a pillar drill. put the nail in and see how it works. to open push the lid at the back and it lifts at the front. also it acts as a stop.on the final assembly put a bit of epoxy in the lid nail hole. trap some leather washers between the li and the box it stops rattling. finally chop the nail with a dremel.
Lovely, I'm going to give that a go on the super thin top tray lid on my tool chest. I was wondering how I was going to fix hinges to it.

Ian’s are the best, and the best of that type.

Brusso are good, but that type isn’t my favourite.

Horton are available from nichelocks, they are ok for the price, over-buffed instead of finely finished and the edges are a bit messy so need a careful lap back, but they aren’t hugely costly.

Many cheap versions are available from prokraft, eBay, Amazon etc if that’s the level you are after.

Barrel hinges are another alternate for very small things.

Larger cabinet hinges from your usual hardware supplies, but rarely nice small ones.

Pin hinges are very cheap and if I’m not putting months into something are what I usually design in, just a length of silver steel, brass or bamboo skewer will do 10 boxes, but it’s a certain look, not a panacea.

Latest posts

Back