BRAND NEW Dewalt DW733S Planer Thicknesser - 441 GBP INC VAT

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Alan

Are you running it at 5 metres? Just leave it permanently set at 5m.

Hopefully, that should go some way towards solving your problem.

Cheers
Neil

Alan.
Whats the dust extraction like on it in both modes.
The dust hood does look like a after thought, I think a re-design is certainly on the books with the outlet being straight and not running to one side
How are you getting along Trevor?

btw Motor was picked up by Parcel line at the appionted day that MTS told me

Hi SP,

Friends stayed until today so didn't get at mine until this afternoon! What a load of cardboard packaging! All seems okay so far - just got the fence and dust hood to fix on. Ta muchly for the advise about fitting the two bolts before putting on the pulley guard :wink: - can imagine the cursing when you discovered that. I found the assembly instructions okay but laborious.

Excitement about giving it a go has abated somewhat. Carriers - I tear my hair out. :twisted: Camvac extractor, ordered Monday after the Midlands show, was despatched on time and due to be delivered yesterday - again nothing, so I'm obviously not going to see it before Tuesday. :cry: Not wanting to bury the motorbike under a pile of planer chippings it looks like the rest of this weekend might be relaxing, single malt time. :lol: I am a little worried though because I am now hearing mutterings from HID, such as, "so you'll be able to make things, now........." :shock: :shock: (All in my own good time, dear! :roll: )

Cheers, Trev.

Sawdust Producer
Yes the dust port is very poor. Don’t even know how to fit it in the surface mode.

The snipe at the start and end of the cut is the most annoying, if you are thicknessing short lengths of timber and you allowed extra wood for trimming off the snipe at both ends, the cost in terms of waste timber would outweigh the savings of dimensioning your own.
I have a Perform bench top machine and the quality of this, in terms of the fence, guard and cutter block if far superior to the DeWalt.
As I have said before, this is the first Dewalt product I have bought and the poor quality of these items dose surprise me.
Perhaps I expect too much for my money.

Trev.
Let me know how you get on with yours.

Alan

I've been using this P/T for a couple of years now and while it's not perfect, it does the job and I've never really had a problem with snipe.

First, make a cup of coffee, pull up a chair and spend 10 minutes setting up the planer blades properly. This is a job you simply cannot rush. Just follow what it says in the manual. That should sort out snipe for planing.

... and for thicknessing... just remember to lift (support) the board as it enters and exits the planer.

DUST EXTRACTION.
I made a plywood box that slides onto the thicknessing bed for using in planing mode. The box is enclosed on all 6 sides but has a 2inch open slot under the planer blades and a 4inch outlet on the back for coupling to extractor. This is much easier to use and collects 99% of chippings.

edwardh said
DUST EXTRACTION.
I made a plywood box that slides onto the thicknessing bed for using in planing mode. The box is enclosed on all 6 sides but has a 2inch open slot under the planer blades and a 4inch outlet on the back for coupling to extractor. This is much easier to use and collects 99% of chippings.

Thanks for that info as I have never used a P/T and also about curing snipe.

I always took it that you have snipe on these and other similar P/T because the thicknesser beds are short and more support is needed?

i.e longer the wood more chance for snipe

Thanks edwardh
No problem with the planer, just the thicknessing,
I can see the problem is with the feed rollers, the pressure applied to the wood as it passes the first roller allows the blade to contact the work, as the wood feeds below the second roller it is being held down by both rollers therefore the blade dose not contact with the same force causing a shallower cut, as the wood clears the first roller the pressure is again reduced causing a deeper cut again.
I have no problems with the machine in general it’s just the some of the fittings which are a little tatty.
I will try the method you suggest tomorrow.
Thanks
Alan

I got mine next day - very nice man from TNT to boot.

Problem is the manual which is at best - inadequate seems to have 2 pages missing - en5 and en6 -

does anyone have this manual and a scanner at hand - and would be kind enough to send me over a copy of the pages.

Cannot find the manual online at DeWalt unfortunately.

Cheers

David

Thanks edwardh
The method you suggested worked for me, I just need a bit more practice.

And thanks Neil, as usual, you are as helpful as anyone could wish.

alan

Been adrift for two or three days now, busy P/T'ing. Well, no, actually decided to re-site the machine :oops: from its original place in the garage which is to be my workshop extension into my existing workshop, along with the new Camvac which can also serve the BS and SMS for the time being. Couldn't possible put the shiny new machine in the dusty old workshop, so the shop has now benefitted from a major reorg. and clean-up. :lol:

Couldn't move the assembled machine on my own and it was just 1" too wide to go through the access from garage to workshop :shock: - so engaged the rather small LOML to help me :twisted: - lift it bodily from underneath the surfacing beds, carry it out of the garage, through a gate, along and up two steps into the workshop. Wonderful help, but still many mutterings about "actually making something now!" :roll: Unfortunately, she doesn't seem to understand too well the need for all the preparation and jobs to be done in the workshop - planning, drawing, sharpening, sitting, contemplating, stoking the fire, etc., etc! :roll:

AlanG - agree with you about one or two of the fittings being a bit flimsy but otherwise it seems fine - no apparent problems in either mode. :)

edwardh - thanks for the advice on setting up the knives - took my time (well spent) and enjoyed the coffee! Also for the tip on the extraction box - my next little job. :wink:

Sawdust Producer - yep, getting on okay with it - and I had a small cutter-like piece of metal left over, too! :?

I have nothing else to compare the 733S with but I am happy with it - it cuts flat, square and smooth - and it does seem overall to be excellent value for the price paid. Thanks Neil. :wink: 8)

Cheers,

Trev.

Hi Trev

L really must be the LOYL to help you move the P/T that far. :roll:

Glad to hear that you're using it and might even start making things now.

No, no, no, just forget that last paragraph. :wink:

All the best
Neil

Hi Trev

The P/T was the catalyst for me to do some spring cleaning and a couple of trips to the tip, (funny how things seem so essential to keep, just in case they come in useful later, and then later they become junk because you have something else to save because it may come it useful) if you know what I mean.
The garage/workshop looks completely different now. Time to do some work.

The machine is fine, just the blade guard and fence which let it down. But defiantly a good buy.

Good luck

Alan

Hi Neil,

Yep, I'm really, really, really starting to think about planning to actually make things. :roll: First jobs are likely to be making trolleys on castors for my machines, but L will probably not see that as making things! :?

Cheers,

Trev.

Hi Trev

trevtheturner":135ff885 said:
Yep, I'm really, really, really starting to think about planning to actually make things. :roll: First jobs are likely to be making trolleys on castors for my machines, but L will probably not see that as making things! :?

ROTFL. :lol:

Cheers
Neil

Trev
You have to point out that if you do not make the trollies you cannot make the things.It seems to work here.
Best of luck

Bean

Yep three trips to the tip to make room for the m/c and dust collector.
Also made a trolley for the P/T with intensions of removing the legs and placing the P/T on a cabinet using the trolley stand.
Stand1.jpg

Should have the motor by Wednesday the latest until then back to painting.

Stand2.jpg

Excellent, SP. :wink:

Thanks for your very sound advice, Bean. I'll make sure I use it for each trolley, for each machine, in turn! :lol: :lol:

Cheers,

Trev.

Hi there Sawdust Producer
That’s a nice set-up, what dust collector did you buy? Is it 13 A
Have you any recommendations?
Good luck with your new motor.

Alan

Thanks Alan Trevor

Alan The DC I bought was the SIP it came with three socks one fine two coarse and a clear plastic bag 750w motor Iam hoping they will both work together with out blowing a fuse on start up otherwise I`ll have run a separate feed from the main house fusebox.

At the moment I have only used the DC on the bandsaw and not a drop of sawdust to be seen, brilliant.

Back