Brace yourselves. (Obviously about braces)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoelD

Established Member
Reaction score
First of all, thanks to everyone who has taken time to answer my inane questions so far. I really appreciate it. And I'm sure there are a fair few frustrated at my seemingly basic questions, but I haven't worked seriously for a decade and a half, and the market is mind-boggling to me now.

With that, braces. Or more specifically getting bits to fit.

Full disclosure, the only power tools I've ever used are a pillar drill (back in school in the mid-90s), a cordless drill (some DIY with plasterboard), and a circular saw (didn't like it). I'm not old enough to be nostalgic about hand tools, it's just all I've ever really known and I find it easier.

Here's my problem: I want to get new auger bits, rather than second hand abused things. But the hex fit doesn't work so well in braces.

I see I have a few options:
1. Hang about waiting for decent (decent being the operative word) old bits come up.
2. Sell the braces, fight my fears and go electrical.
3. Buy an adaptor.

Now, I see see some sites online sell adaptors for hex bits to fit into aan old brace, but are they reliable? Does the extra length of the shaft mean that using the brace gets more unsteady during use? Are they of good quality? Does the screw lock hols the bits well or cause the angle to go off?
Or should I just act like the millennial I am and opt for the high tech drill drivers (apparently being born in 1982 makes me a millennial)?

Would be good to hear from people who've used these adaptors.

Same here. Almost all brace chucks will grip a hex bit nicely, corner to corner.
If you can unscrew the outer shell of your brace's chuck and post some photos of what's inside, someone will advise.
The cheapest option may well be to buy another brace, if necessary, rather than an adaptor.

I have a few braces of different sizes but I worry with the different angles of the hex fit bits (especially with the large bits and a larger sweep) wouldn't the bit slip because of the gaps around the corners?
It seems like the corners wouldn't fit properly in the jaws, but I'm happy to be corrected.

I've just remembered using some cheap Chinese auger bits from B&Q.
They had hex shanks but the cross section got bigger with the tip diameter. Maybe these are what you mean. The larger sizes would not fit well in a common brace with "alligator" jaws. The smaller ones were ok.
The effective limit is probably about 8mm corner to corner.

However, large diameter bits are available with reduced size hex shanks designed to fit in a cordless drill driver, at the standard 1/4" size. Those would be fine in most old braces.

But don't overlook old bits. I have a selection of various sizes and never paid much for them. Rust can be removed and cutting edges resharpened on all but the worst examples.

Cheshirechappie":2ir4edya said:
New square taper shank Jennings pattern bits with fine pitch leadscrews are available, albeit not cheap;

https://www.fine-tools.com/auger-bit-co ... shaft.html

From my experience, I'd say the most useful are the smaller sizes, up to (say) 1/2", supplemented by maybe just a couple of larger ones.

Yikes!
As luck would have it, I've just got back from a boot sale with the family and picked up 2 bits in decent condition (tiny amount of surface rust and some minor sharpening needed) for 60p.

AndyT":2wtjihl7 said:
I've just remembered using some cheap Chinese auger bits from B&Q.
They had hex shanks but the cross section got bigger with the tip diameter. Maybe these are what you mean. The larger sizes would not fit well in a common brace with "alligator" jaws. The smaller ones were ok.
The effective limit is probably about 8mm corner to corner.

However, large diameter bits are available with reduced size hex shanks designed to fit in a cordless drill driver, at the standard 1/4" size. Those would be fine in most old braces.

But don't overlook old bits. I have a selection of various sizes and never paid much for them. Rust can be removed and cutting edges resharpened on all but the worst examples.
That's just It!
I did get a couple of older bits today (basically because they were there), but finding larger sizes is difficult.
It's not a major issue, but I wanted some larger bits for some jigs I planned to use.
I'll have a look around for those with a smaller hex end and try one out.

It's my shorts that cover everything that's important, but its the brace's that keep the shorts in place, very important at my age I can catch a chill so quickly now days. :wink:

MikeJhn":2h1zzsau said:
It's my shorts that cover everything that's important, but its the brace's that keep the shorts in place, very important at my age I can catch a chill so quickly now days. :wink:
Just don't get to the stage of wearing suspenders for socks :lol:

YoelD":x61m1dqw said:
MikeJhn":x61m1dqw said:

.... or stockings! :shock:

Cheshirechappie":1xj8h7ob said:
YoelD":1xj8h7ob said:
MikeJhn":1xj8h7ob said:

.... or stockings! :shock:
I'll leave that to my wife. I don't have the legs for it :lol:

YoelD":3kzey9gk said:
MikeJhn":3kzey9gk said:

Gone through that stage when at Uni, or that was the excuse I gave for then being in my car, mum.

Back