Brace sweep sizes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you seek around on the various auction sites braces are quite regular.

About 10 inch swing is about the most common as far as I can see, though there used to be a shorter-swing-brace - about half that - sometimes called an 'Electricians' braces because they have a narrow swing and could be used in confined spaces..... typically between joists and under floor-boards. Generally electricians were only interested in a hole big enough to get a twin and earth cable through.

They do exist, though sometimes a bit rare to find nowadays.

The only issue is that comparatively, they require a lot more muscle to swing due to the shorter leverage and this can limit the diameter of the bit, some of us used to struggle to swing anything bigger than 5/8"........... old-bloody-age!
There was a Stanley No: 73 or a 78, the numbers can be confusing, if I recall, that came in at about 5 inches swing.
You can also get a brace that has a single long arm - all in, it will occupy less space from the pad to the drill-tip and has greater leverage for larger diameters.

Hope that this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response Argus, much appreciated.
I want the smaller swing for screwing in screws, my wrists have weakened with age and using screwdrivers is more difficult now, the 10” brace is a bit big and unwieldy for screws (for me at least) hence the wish for the smaller one , thanks again.

I do remember an electricians brace, might have been Stanley, yellow and black plastic bits on it. Sadly went in a big clear out a couple of years ago or you could have had it. I doubt many electricians use them now that cordless power tools are so compact.

I remember my father had some kind of ratchet T handle that screwdrivers fitted in. Don't recall brand.

If I am struggling with something very tight I use my bahco 1/4 drive socket set which has ratchet, extension and a square to hex adapter so you can use screwdriver bits.

Look at speed handles for sockets. Mechanics have been using them forever to do just that with screwdriver tipped sockets along with the nuts. I have 3 from my aircraft wrenching days. 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drives. We use them to take out the hundreds of screws in the wing panels etc.

Pete

Hi Mike,
James Chapman of Sheffield were making braces, in sweeps of 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, and 14 inches. After their take over by Stanley in the mid 1930's the range was reduced but the 5 and 6 In continued for a while. I have a 6 In Stanley branded No 73E MK 4 with the plastic handles that Richard mentions and it is very handy for driving screws. As well as the slotted driver bit I've also got a Phillips bit that fits the brace.
Here in Aus' the smaller sweeps used to show up at swap meets etc quite frequently but haven't seen them so much lately.
Cheers,
Geoff.

Back