Brace and Ledge Door

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutter12

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone know if there are specific angles that should be used for the notch in the Ledge that receives the Brace end?

One book suggests (see diagram below) that the width of the measurement 'W/5' is a fifth of the Brace width (W). Unfortunately the text is blurred and I can't read the Angle (although it may be 100°?).

IMG_1114.JPG

In the past I have cut the notches a little deeper into the Ledge (a quarter of the width) and the angle was around 110°.

Any thoughts on this appreciated :)

Attachments

• IMG_1114.JPG
    IMG_1114.JPG
    830 KB · Views: 446
I've never really paid any special attention to the actual angles of the braces, to be honest, just whatever looks right and actually does it's job.

Same, Just cut the brace to the correct shape by eye, trace onto the ledge and ferrrrtle it out

The angle of the brace should be steeper than 45 degrees. Sometimes that will look like a long brace joined on the middle rail, two shorter braces already falling aren't much use other than aesthetically

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Hi Coley, I am not so sure I follow exactly what you are saying. Any chance of a picture? Thanks

As Phil mentioned if the angle of the brace is less than 45 degrees it wont be very effective.
d7d4dccd8e3c28201a6be9a168fceb82.jpg

The door on the left will likely to continue dropping, the door on the right with the angle of the brace steeper than 45 degrees will stand a much better chance of holding its shape

Just reread this and i seem to have posted a completely different answer than what you were asking for ! lol

Thanks for the sketch Coley. I see what you are saying now. I have it in my head that the brace should be between 45 and 60 degrees. I made the doors today and as they are quite narrow shed doors I have two braces at around 50 degrees. :)

Back