BP.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digit

Established Member
Reaction score
No, not them. Blood pressure. I had a flu jab last week at a local clinic, where they weighed me and checked my bloodprssure. 196 0ver 120!
Panic! 'Make an appointment to see your GP', they said. Friday, practise nurse does it again, 193 over 117.
See GP I'm told.
Today I see GP, tells practise nurse to conduct BP plus ECG, which she does.
See GP, he looks at results tells nurse to do the BP again.
This time she does it twice, each arm.
GP looks puzzled, ECG, no problem, BP down 50 points!
'Trust you to be different Roy,' he says, then orders blood tests as he's never seen the like before. I told him to look at my records, which he did and saw that previous tests had shown wide variations.
Anybody else had this?

Roy.

I know that a second BP test is nearly always lower than the first even nurses and doctors agree. Sometimes it "white coat" syndrome but I can get it with my own machine at home. My wife's BP readings seem almost random and can be high, normal or low and she's fit and very health concious. Her doctor told her not to worry about it and don't keep taking readings, if you must, once a month is more than enough for a normal person in good health.

I never had high blood pressure until the GP's practice started using a digital machine, we changed GP's and the new practice still used the older non digital equipment and my BP wasn't high.

Moral of the story, sometimes progress isn't all it's cracked up to be :)

Steve :)

The white coat syndrome appears to be my GP's belief, but apparently I'm going to be supplied with a 24 hr monitor.
It's yo-yoed for years, I also have an irregular heart beat and I have had that as long as I can remember as well.
The wife says I'm not normal! :lol:
Modern digital stuff has a tendency to stop working when I get near it Steve, my son normally deals with setting up digital stuff, even our phone goes on strike when it sees me coming!
My wife can stand over me as I tap in phone numbers, I get, 'sorry, your number has not been identified.' She does it and it works! Drives me crazy!

Roy.

The 24 hour monitor is one of the best tools. A friend of mine (client as well) is a doctor and who I have the highest regard for. I measured mine recently with a digital arm blood pressure meter (wrist ones are notoriously inaccurate) and it was looking a bit high. In both arms. I mentioned it to him and he got out his old fashioned stethoscope and manual doobery and also measure it with me standing up since he says I spend most of my day standing up so surely that's how you should take your blood pressure. Normal he said. Good enough for me.

Problem with high BP Rog, so they tell me, is that it produces no symptoms. I've got to see the Doc in a week's time when he should have the 'blood' results.

Roy.

Practice nurse took my BP and told me it was high, had to have it taken again a week later, when she took it the second time she used a different sizw 'cuff' and guess what it was normal. I asked her how you can get different readings with a different size cuff, "dont know" she said, "but you got nothing to worry about now". #-o #-o #-o

Stew

The part that worried me was that the Doc said he wasn't prepared to medicate as that could result in low BP at the bottom of the Yo-Yo as it would make me giddy, but it's the high point that is the danger.
I'm gonna await the rest of the tests then see about a monitor and the possiblity of medicating when the BP is high.

Roy.

Back