BP yo-yoing!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digit

Established Member
Reaction score
My blood pressure yo-yos, over 50 points today, so after a battery of tests this morning I was fitted with a monitor.
Nurse attaches it to my arm, tests it, checks the figures, explains its use, what will happen next, shows me what the read out is all about and makes an appointment for me to return.
'If it doesn't blow up!' I commented.
Quizzical look.
'Me an electronics don't get on,' I explain.
Tolerant smile and off I go.
Hour later monitor packs up!
My son says I'm paranoid, the wife says I'm a joke, but both agree I shouldn't be let loose near modern electronics. Mobile or portable phone, the number has not been recognised! Swipe cards? Forget it! Digital watch? Might as well use a calender! TV remote? Anything is possible.
Does anybody else have this problem?

Roy.

I know a few people who just seem to have a force field and things just stop working for no reason around them.

On a slightly related note but not aimed at you. What is it with people of a certain age saying that they can't use technology or it doesn't work around them or anything new and modern and wearing it like a badge of honour or something to be proud of. I can't think of anything sadder than spending out your years in a world you don't understand and can't operate in?

We have a shop assistant like that, every time she needs to use the computer she calls one of the others over to do it, then walks off.
Convinced she is beaten then sets out to prove her self right.
In my case I think my GP is facing a problem, if the monitor is correct.
Max systolic Px 196. Min diastolic Px 52. Max pulse, 95, min 40!
There's no way he lower my BP with a diastolic pressure that low!

Roy.

My Mum makes watches go wrong. Battery ones, after about 6months to a year just stop working. It's happened on every watch she's had so I think she has a wind up one now!

Very weird.

I hope the monitor is wrong!

I doubt it Jen, but at least it will stop my GP arguing. My pulse rate becomes erratic when I relax, it misses beats, my GP says no, it inserts extra beats.
The 40/min that the monitor recorded was with my heart missing every other beat, so it should have been 60ish, which should then raise the distolic pressure.
I've had ECG, Blood sugar tests, PSA test, Kidney and Liver function, Thyroid test and Cholesterol, all ok, just this weird hearbeat/BP problem.
I tried to use a swipe card in B and Q tother day, after 6 attempts I passed it to my wife. Hole in one. The chap serving thought I was kidding when I told him it wouldn't work for me.

Roy.

Morning all

Chems 'I know a few people who just seem to have a force field and things just stop working for no reason around them.'

I knew a chap at BT who was just like that. Even with a known good static discharge strap connected he would still zap cards. My wife 'kills' watches. Digital or mechanical, they only last a few weeks.

Roy, you have my sympathy. I'm going through a similar process with my GP. Every time I have a test, the nurse checks my BP and it is like a fiddler's elbow.

I'm not sure how reliable these electronic testers are. When my GP used one on me, he checked the result manually using the old kit and got different figures. The next time I go in, I'll look for a calibration label :)

Cheers

Dave

My blood Px reached 196 yesterdayal whilst lying on my side installing an exhaust system on a motor bike.
The nurse haid said to have a normal day
I explained that lying on my side fitting an exhaust system was normal for me! :lol:

Roy.

Digit":1igw4cwn said:
My blood Px reached 196 yesterdayal whilst lying on my side installing an exhaust system on a motor bike.
The nurse haid said to have a normal day
I explained that lying on my side fitting an exhaust system was normal for me! :lol:

Roy.

Exactly so. My friend/customer is a Doc and he takes BP with me standing up as that is what I'm doing most of the day (as are many other people).

Back