boxwood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GEPPETTO

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

a curiosity...

reading some texts about woodworking and planemaker topics I have found written the term "boxwood". (I didn't find any italian translation)
Is it way to say a precise wood like pine,oak etc or to indicate another wooden stuff? :roll:

Yes it is a specific genus, called buxus and comes in lots of varieties. Usually grown in northern Europe as a hedge plant.

It is an excellent wood for carving small items, one of the best because it will take very fine detail.

Violin pegs are often made from box then stained black to ebonise them. In Japan I have seen some excellent carvings in box, small combs, Nutsuke and the like.

Moulding planes use box as a wear strip, because it has a very close, even and mechanically hard grain.

Argus

Argus":k903z9hw said:
Yes it is a specific genus, called buxus and comes in lots of varieties. Usually grown in northern Europe as a hedge plant.

It is an excellent wood for carving small items, one of the best because it will take very fine detail.

Violin pegs are often made from box then stained black to ebonise them. In Japan I have seen some excellent carvings in box, small combs, Nutsuke and the like.

Moulding planes use box as a wear strip, because it has a very close, even and mechanically hard grain.

Argus

Argus you don't know how you has been useful. :D
Many thanks.

Latest posts

Back