boxwood - any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickthetree

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all

I've seen the wikion boxwood so it would seem it grows into tree form in the UK if left. How long do they take to grow into trees?

Is all of the wood useful (including limbs) for the woodworker?

I found four trees that look to me to be box. The leaves are spot on and the bark similar. The trunks are about 8->10inch max at the base and they seem about 20ft tall at most I'd guess.

Going to ask the landowner if they could spare a branc or two.

Hard and even grained mostly available in small sizes. I've only used it for small carvings but takes fine detail beautifully.

I guess it depends what you want to use it for.

Bob

As far as I know branches are useful, not just the trunk. For things like chisel handles, the presence of small knots actually gives extra strength from the interlocking grain. For small pieces I've seen it successfully dried and offered for sale in the round, with the bark on.

Just a bit of background. Boxwood was used for engineers and Archtects measuring scales up until the late '60's. Used due to its dense and fine grain and stability. It would cut folded paper where plastic couldn't......like a paper knife. Also prized by model makers and possibly small instruement makers. Polished up well. Good luck with your asking.

Box is a woodturner's dream because it turns so well and will take fine details like screwthreads but it can be very tricky to dry in the round in large sections.

Here's a link to another place....

http://www.bodgers.org.uk/bb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2122

The best quality box (straight knot free and without grey patches) these days is reserved for musical instruments and fetches high prices but decent box is still pretty easy to get hold of...

http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Hardwoods/Timber_Specialities/timber_specialities.html#boxwood

HTH
Jon

I was given some very dry box a while back and unfortunately as has been said, it cracks. It was cracked and split when I got it.

It's a 12" rule sat on the top.

Boxbits3.jpg

It is like cream to turn and one of my favorites!

mickthetree":16e6rmvy said:
How long do they take to grow into trees?

Box is very slow growing and only ever makes a small tree, so a large specimen could well be a couple of hundred years old. If you are thinking of planting for the future, I hope you are still in your pram :D

Jim

Latest posts

Back