Boxed in garage door motor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brendan_bjg

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm partitioning off my garage so part of it can be a work from home area. I can't take the stud to the ceiling due to the garage door & motor. I am going to box it off, and put a door in the stud wall for access between the 2. There is another door in the working area; I'm just making sure I've 2 exits in the room incase of fire. The stud along the wall is the start of boxing off the motor. I've anchored it to the wall with 8mm concrete screws, it will have supporting studs from the ceiling, and obviously studs coming from the stud wall aswell to form the ceiling (so getting support from the stud wall aswell. It will be boarded and plastered, with an access panel to the motor incase of maintenance. Noggins also yet to go in.

Do you think that is enough support for the box round the motor? Should I have used sleeve anchors in the wall, or are concrete screws sufficient?

Thanks

IMG_20220215_093558.jpg

Could you move the stud wall to be this side of the motor then there would bo no need for a box, or would that encroach too much into the part nearest us in the pic

Could you not take the stub wall up to full height just behind the rear of the door tracks and fabricate a full removable boxing to conceal the motor which could be removed from within the room area should replacement/servicing ever be needed? That would ensure that the stud wall is anchored to the ceiling joists rather than apparently flapping about as shown.

I think you will be fine with the 8mm concrete screws, the false ceiling studs will stop them coming out.

You could fit some storage in the false ceiling cavity for light stuff like bike helmets, sledges, etc in the remaining false ceiling area accessed from the garage side or the workshop side!?

Use under bed storage boxes?

Back