Box Wood.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveW1000

Established Member
Reaction score
Amongst other things I do volunteer work in a number of parks and churchyards. Currently I'm in the process of taking down what I think is a dead Box tree. Going to keep some of the timber myself for chisel handles. Is this anything others here would like? Going to be from 2" to 8" diameter.
20211215_140657.jpg

could be very interested, am wanting some box to play with… let me know :)

Anything bigger than 1" dia is usable, 6 to 8" is a big tree so you will have some lovely timber there.
The bigger sizes are prone to splitting in a spiral way as they dry so its often a good idea to quarter them. I wonder if it was killed by Box blight? this is infestation by Box moth caterpillar, we lost about 20 small box shrubs, so far their parent which is a big tree about 80 years old has survived.
Someone i know cut a huge one down ten years ago the trunk was over a foot across & there was tons of it. Morons logged & burnt it!

Yes probably box blight. Number of years ago had another die at the other end of the churchyard which I was eying up and found it gone one week. :cry: There was also a box hedge behind the garden of remembrance that died last year. Not going to lose this one

I would love some for the vine leaves and bosses on the fan vault that I'm making. I can collect it from Leytonstone, no problem as I'm in Kennington doing an MA in woodcarving. I've got 220 vine leaves and six nice sized bosses to carve, so I think I'd like to carve it green to speed things up a bit

I won't be back in London until early January though.

Last edited:
Back