Box update

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveL

Established Member
Reaction score
I am trying to make a box using my router lathe. The last time I posted about this I had made a 12 sided piece of ash on the lathe. So I then had to hollow out the middle, I used my Jasper jig for this:
Dscn2995s.jpg

Dscn2997s.jpg

This works quite well, I used a top bearing guided cutter to clean the centre of the box, this stopped me from cutting into the side :)
I then thicknessed a piece of walnut for the lid. I had to stick a bit of ply on the top to take the guide pin for the jig:
Dscn3005s.jpg

It almost worked, but the walnut split on the grain as I tried to take a final cut. :x
Dscn3009s.jpg

So I had to make a second one.
Dscn3012s.jpg

To continue on the same theme I had a tear out problem on the bottom of the box and had to make a second one as well. :roll: Anyway here is the thing before finishing.
Dscn3017s.jpg

One last thing before the finish goes on.
Dscn3016s.jpg

And here it is drying.
Dscn3019s.jpg

It will need a couple more coats of finishing oil.
Is there a class for small boxes as its not in the same league as most of the other nice bits of work posted here :shock:

Very nice, Dave.

Although that looks like a fearsomely complicated way to make a box :).

Pete (who set out on this all-consuming hobby with the intention of making nothing but boxes and who is yet to start his first!)

Lovely job Dave and very innovative.

I like the contrast in the woods and your tenacity making two tops and bottoms :wink:

Dave,

Wow. What patience and ingenuity. I was wondering only yesterday if you'd found a way to hollow it out, but didn't like to ask in case it had become a sore subject :shock: I like the contrast, but then I'm a sucker for walnut. :D

Cheers, Alf

Lovely little box Dave 8)
Is the router lathe commercial
or self made, and is it time consuming to set up or very
handy for occasional, small work?

TX

Lovely!
I'm not sure I would have the patience needed to achieve your kind of results.
Well done.

SF

Dave

Nice little box. Well done for continuing after the heartsink moments.
It reminds me of the old broom joke (i.e. this original broom has had 3 new heads and 2 new handles). This box is the original one with a new lid and new base.

Well done

Roy

Well thanks for the comments. :D

It is not a quick way of making a box, but it is different which is what I was looking for :shock:

The router lathe is sold by Trend, I have looked at them in the past and not bought one as they are ~£140 [skinflint mode :oops: ]
But B&Q had a sale of router stuff at half price, and I could not resist buying one :roll: (along with more cutters of course :roll:) Its not really a substitute for a wood turning lathe, making a round spindle is very laborious and not much fun. :cry: But it will let you do things that you cannot do on a normal lathe, the cutting of spirals and barley twists is the thing that caught my eye. And as you can see it will let you machine many sided shapes by indexing the work between moving the router along the job. :lol:

Having made one box/lid, making a duplicate is much quicker, I now understand part of why his Normness always has a 'prototype' he made earlier! (I bet he has never seen Blue Peter)

I have a small piece of my 12 sided stock left, enough for one more box if nothing goes wrong :roll: I am going to try another idea, if it works I'll post a picture.

I am very pleased with the contrast of the ash and walnut, I need a tuit for some maple and walnut toys I plan to make and am looking forward to a similar contrast on them. 8)

Bean,

The cleaner could wipe the windows and iron my pinny when I am finished for the night :wink:

Now where did I leave my tin hat :shock:

Latest posts

Back