Box Scraper

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saint Simon

Established Member
Reaction score
Could some kind hearted member please tell me the correct method of use of a box scraper, eg Stanley no70, or point to some reference work that will help me get to grips with this device.
thanks
Simon

Afaik, they were a crude tool to remove stencilled marks from crates and boxes so they could be reused. So pretend you are a nineteenth century warehouseman and just press down and pull the handle back and forth.
Don't expect a nice smooth finish though.

Thanks Andy. So are they actually a crude plane rather than a scraper with the blade angled back rather than forward?

Well, I think so, but I've never handled one, so you have the advantage over me there.

Andy's right - the item you are thinking of is quite plentiful on the second-hand market.
It was a ware-houseman's tool for ripping stencils off crates that were to be re-assigned. No longer done for various legislative reasons....

However from a distance and in poor light, the Stanley No: 70 has a resemblance to a Stanley No: 82 Scraper:
https://www.handplane.com/225/stanley-n ... t-scraper/
and from your post you inferred that you needed a scraper.

This No: 82 is very hard to find in the UK, perhaps because it was not marketed here... not sure about that.
In my opinion and with my dodgy wrist-joints, this is one of the most versatile scrapers to be had, not only for scraping flat surfaces (you can double-up a pair of ordinary, sharp card-scrapers for stiffness and get an exceptionally even scrape on the flat) but because its own blade can deal with curved, surfaces, concave or convex, depending on the degree of hook and pull-pressure it can hog a lot of wood off for shaping from the rough or give a light pass with fine shavings. Its success for me is that it allows very even pressure, light or hard on sections that ordinary scrapers cannot reach.

You'll gather that I'm in favour of this little tool!

Good luck

Back