Box Progress & Inlay problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedee

Established Member
Reaction score
So here are some progress pics
oak_stock.JPG

The stock is recycled oak skirting board from our old office

groovy_405.JPG

I enjoyed this bit

cutting_sides.JPG

A lot of clamps here just to cut the sides

box_sides.JPG

The box sides

I had hoped to jazz it up a bit by running some walnut inlay along all four sides. As I do not own a router but do have a Dremel I though that might do the trick. Chris kindly lent me the router base but on last nights test runs I did not have much success. It seemed very hard to keep a perfectly straight line. I think that there is too much flex in the router support.

As Chris had suggested using a scratch stock I tried using my beading tool but across the grain caused a lot of tearout. The instructions only recommend cross grain work on close grained woods which oak is not. Should I try to fashion a cutter from a different material or is oak really not suitable.

AndyP

Andy,
I just tried that scratchstock I showed you with a cutter I quickly ground and sharpened. It makes a very acceptable cross grain groove in some ancient oak I have. It is impotrtant that the cutter edges are ground or filed straight across. If grinding, make sure the surface being ground is parallel AND square to the axis of the wheel, otherwise you end up with an angled cutter which will try to wedge its way through the wood rather than cut cleanly.

waterhead37":3bpe3kvw said:
Andy,
It is impotrtant that the cutter edges are ground or filed straight across. If grinding, make sure the surface being ground is parallel AND square to the axis of the wheel, otherwise you end up with an angled cutter which will try to wedge its way through the wood rather than cut cleanly.

Yes that would explain why the single pointed cutter that I used in the beading tool caused so much tear out. I will try and make a flat ended cutter using the blanks that I have.

I imagine holding the blank to the grind stone will be tricky I think I'll insert a blank into the beadting tool so that I have something to hold that won't get too hot.

The whole point of this compeition is to try something new. Even if I do not finish in time (very likely) I will certainly have learnt a thing or two.

AndyP

They're ok for me Philly, try going direct? Your AV maybe doesn't like Geocities?

Rgds

Noel

Noely":13zs28jq said:
They're ok for me Philly, try going direct? Your AV maybe doesn't like Geocities?

Rgds

Noel

Nope, looks like AndyP's gone bang over quota at geoattrocities. Might I suggest Image Shack as a really useful place to host images.

http://imageshack.us (that's right, no www required)

Stuff stays there for a year after the last access, which is pretty good going especially for stuff like we bang up on forums like UkW.

Enjoy
Martyn

Andy,

An alternative might be to take a leaf out of the luthiers' book, and use something akin to a purfling cutter to score outer limits of your inlay groove, and use the scratchstock to remove the waste. This thread has some suggestions.

Cheers, Alf

Sorry about the image problems especially as it took me a least 2 hours to set up the web page and upload them to Geocities this morning (another slack day at the office).

I think I have been sold on the Trend T3 on offer at DM Tools. This is cheaper than the Dremel router base I had on order with Axminster (now cancelled). Although the accountant may need convincing.

I am going to try and shape the blank cutters I have for my beading tool, as per Chris' instructions, this evening just to see what happens.

But it looks like I am falling down the slippery slope of router ownership - I'll be getting a small rodent next :wink:

AndyP

dedee":12kzv57c said:
But it looks like I am falling down the slippery slope of router ownership - I'll be getting a small rodent next :wink:

AndyP

Probably best :cry:

Latest posts

Back