box making question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brianhabby":22bqqf1a said:
Thanks Jen,

Actually I do recall that thread, you made a very handsome box.

I was interested to note that you mentioned Andrew normally uses either a lap or rabbet joint for beginners but you wanted mitres to hide the end grain.

My grandson has just made a box for his mum's Christmas present (still in the throws of finishing) and we had the same dilemma, mitre joints are notoriously difficult to get perfect but lap joints show end grain. In the end we came up with something that I think solves the problem - a lap joint with no end grain showing. It is covered by a small piece of wood.

I'll post a pic later to show what I mean.

regards

Brian

That's my dilemma at the moment,do I attempt mitres on my table saw with mitre sledge or do I go down the router lap joint road ? I have tried a couple of dummy runs with the mitre sledge and they turned ok on scrap wood. I'm just nervous of using my beautiful walnut and making a mess.

Only of the finished article Dave which wouldn't help much. Imagine a box with sides one centimetre thick and the lid stuck on top. the edges of the lid would be visible, so you set the lid back from the edge and glue strips on all 4 edges, thus hiding the edges. HTH.

Roy.

Digit":23yjao8c said:
Only of the finished article Dave which wouldn't help much. Imagine a box with sides one centimetre thick and the lid stuck on top. the edges of the lid would be visible, so you set the lid back from the edge and glue strips on all 4 edges, thus hiding the edges. HTH.

Roy.

Right, I see what you mean Roy

Thanks for that.

Regards

Dave

Mike Wingate":1ze34sht said:
Make a shooting board and excel at mitres. So easy.
PICT0357.jpg

Hi Mike

Can I be cheaky and ask if you have a plan for the shooting board.

regards

Dave

If I had one you could have it. I based it on http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/wwmitr ... board.html
I used ply and 3 x 2, plus drawing board T-squares for the runners. Select your plane and size up. The usable width is 11 3/4" and max heightof wood under the frame is 1 3/4". The plane in the photo is a 6, but I will be using a 5 1/2. The plane run in a V made by 45 degree chamfers on the adjoining edges of the T sqare Tufnel. Hope that helps. Ask for more details if neccessary, but it only took a couple of hours to screw together.

thecoder":3oj8bwkv said:
brianhabby":3oj8bwkv said:
That's correct Dave. The end piece (walnut) extents a little at the bottom to make feet for the box. They were a bit spindly to start with so were thickened up by adding a piece on the foot end.

regards

Brian

Thanks for sharing that info Brian,I like the look of it. would be nice to see it when its finished.

regards

Dave

Well here it is Dave

boxclosed.jpg

boxopen.jpg

Need to find a suitable stay for that lid, It's held in place by an iron for the photo

regards

Brian

Excellent work!

Possibly too late now but had you thought of hinges with a built in 90 degree stop?

That's exactly the mitre shooting board I made some years ago. I can highly recommend it.

I thought it was an electric box. Nice! Yes the shooting boards are a great jig. The improvement and ease of accuracy with just a couple of plane strokes is unbelievable. So easy.

RogerP":vxi36srl said:
Excellent work!

Possibly too late now but had you thought of hinges with a built in 90 degree stop?

That's exactly the mitre shooting board I made some years ago. I can highly recommend it.

The short answer is no, everything was done in a bit of a rush to get it ready for Chrismas so we had just go with what we had.

I'll have to have a look at making a shooting board for mitres.

Mike Wingate":vxi36srl said:
I thought it was an electric box.
:?:

regards

Brian

thecoder":273vv9kt said:
That is beautiful Brian, I would be very proud to have produced that.. =D>

Thanks for that mate. As I mentioned, it was my grandson's project for his mum's Christmas present. In truth it was a joint effort but he did most of the work.

It is made from sycamore & walnut with that piece in the lid being a bit of rippled ash.

regards

Brian

Back