Box Making Courses

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hornet99

Established Member
Reaction score
My cousin who was a pretty good engineer in his day, tells me everything starts as a box. Being new to the craft, can anyone recommend a good box making course that I can put on my Xmas list please?

Peter Sefton runs a selection of courses and I think a specific 2 day box making one? I’ve not done that one but his Veneering course and Routing courses were excellent.

I did one at Axminster quite a few years ago, but can't see any courses on their site any more. Which is no help, sorry.

I did the Peter Sefton intro to hand tools course and that was excellent. While it doesn't involve making a box, it does include a lot of techniques that can be applied to box making.

Ian Hawthorne has a YouTube based box making course, you buy the ‘kit’ from him and follow the course on-line in your own time. The kit contains everything you need including a set of his wonderful hinges. You learn so much including veneering, I’ve done it and can thoroughly recommend it, he’s a very likeable man/instructor. I think you’ll all the information at his website, his company is Fine Box Hardware and he’s in Ireland or N.Ireland, I’m not sure.

Depends what you want from it. I’ve done the Andrew Crawford course. Excellent from perspective of veneering, making and fitting custom inlays, select and fitting hardware and finishing with leather interiors.

What it does not do is (attempt to) teach stock preparation, tool sharpening/ preparation, dovetail joinery etc.

Hope this helps
Simon.

(For what it’s worth I really enjoyed it and the dovetail type stuff YouTube and £100 timber does just as well, this was much more overall product rather than technique obsessed).

Courses are great, it challenges your skills in the learning process. If your going down the book/YouTube road, you might want to consider Doug Stowe, an American box maker. Lots of short YouTube vids.

I'd echo pretty much everything that Simon said above.

I too have done a course with Andrew Crawford and loved every minute.

Depends what you want from it. I’ve done the Andrew Crawford course. Excellent from perspective of veneering, making and fitting custom inlays, select and fitting hardware and finishing with leather interiors.

What it does not do is (attempt to) teach stock preparation, tool sharpening/ preparation, dovetail joinery etc.

Hope this helps
Simon.

(For what it’s worth I really enjoyed it and the dovetail type stuff YouTube and £100 timber does just as well, this was much more overall product rather than technique obsessed).

My box making course covers very similar techniques to Andrews, if someone was looking for stock preparation, tool sharpening, dovetailing and jointing then my beginners course would be a better fit.

Cheers

Peter

Back