Box I made for my Brother for Christmas.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all,

Ive been dying to show somebody the box ive been working on the past week as its a present for my brother for christmas I guess your all the first to see it :p (he doesnt know of this site so...)

I got him a couple of different dial guages as he is into metalworking, they came in a rather crude plastic box where the lid didnt quite fit, so I thought what a great idea to make a box, gives me a chance to try out the box joint jig I made earlier in the year :wink:

Its made out of Sapele & the stringing on the lid is Steamed Beech, I didnt do the usual method of routing out a channel & inserting the stringing you get in vaneer places, I didnt think my skills were up to that, so I made a breadboard edge mitred at the corners with a thin strip (3mm) of beech glued to it, when I mitred it & glued it on it looks just as nice I think, & MUCH easier :D

It was really fun to make & took me about a week, I just took my time & tried my best, the only thing I dont like is the catch on the front, I couldnt find anywhere that sold these in that small size, so I whipped this one off of an old cheap router set box, its a crude catch but it works, I sprayed it with a gold laquer as it was silver.

Ok enough of my blabbering on :wink: here are some pics.

boxA1.jpg

boxA2.jpg

boxA3.jpg

If anyone has any comments good or bad im all ears @@@@ its good to know what other people think, I showed my parents but they are totally biased hehe.

Ok, thanks for looking,
I wish everyone here a very Merry Christmas!!

Nick :wink:

Nick,

It looks great and I reckon your brother should be very pleased.

I liked your solution for the stringing and as you say, it looks just fine. However, judging by the results, I would suggest your skills are definitely up to the "traditional method"

Hi Nick,

Lucky brother to get a nice box for his dial gauges. :D Looks very nice, glad to see your box joint jig is working OK now.

What finish have used on the box, needs to stand up to some what oily thumb prints. :roll:

I used Danish Oil, I thought about oily fingers & that, but knowing my brother he will want to have clean hands to handle them dial guages so I didnt think it would be a problem, he is fussy like me, so I know it will be looked after.

I would have used polyurathane but last time I tried it looked like a mess, I prefer oils as they are relatively simple to put on.

Coo. Like Dave says; lucky brother. I'm sure he'll be chuffed to bits, and if he isn't change him for a better model...
wink.gif
The gold lacquer on the catch has worked really well, hasn't it? Dunno how long it'll last in the hands of a metalhead, but just the biz for the unwrapping moment. And a clever solution to the stringing issue. Proper job, as they say down here.
biggrin.gif
Router table or <shudder> table saw box joint jig? It's done a good job anyhow.

Cheers, Alf

Nick can my parents adopt you :wink: , I have a few dial gauges but nothing to keep them in as splendorous as your box, I think its wonderful.

Bean

The box joints were done using a jig I made for the router table, it takes a little while to setup but it has some micro adjustments so its not too hard, the joints were a little floppy than what I would have liked but when I glued up I was glad I didnt make them any tighter as they came together just nice & snug.

Nick,

There must be some room for a film of glue, have you looked at Chris's (waterhead37) glueing up for his rocking chair, a braver man than me. :shock:

No I havent seen that, have you got a link mate?

Yes I thought the same thing after I assembled it all, there is no point making a lovely snug joint that has no room left for glue, luckily it all worked out ok in the end.

Incase your wondering, the box joint jig I made a while back is from a Timelife book I got, called Jigs & Fixtures, its very good indeed (the jig I mean),

Oh here is a link ive just found to it, so you can see what im on about.
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/plansnow/boxjoint.html

Ive got myself some more books that im saving for Christmas, I love woodworking but you cant spend all Christmas out in the garage :shock: so at least when im totally poggled from eating all that turkey I can collapse in the armchair & read all about it LOL.

[/quote]

Hi Nick,

This link into the Rocking Chair main page of Chris's web site, loads of pictures and he explains everything really well, a good read. 8)

Thanks for the link to the box joint jig, I was not surprised to see its from Woodsmith/Workbench amd Shopnotes, I subscribed to Woodsmith and the bonus on joining was ' The Ultimate Jigs and Fixtures Handbook ', the box joint jig is in there. I have made some hold downs from the book, most of the rest of it is on the tuit list :roll: Look here if you want to see them, you need to scroll down a bit 'cause I preambled as well as rambled. :oops:

Latest posts

Back