Box Competition

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedee

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't get too exited no pictures yet. I've taken them but will not display unless I get the whole thing finished.

1.00pm on Saturday afternoon, the twins asleep (both at the same time a minor, miracle in itself). My 3yr old also having a nap and the missus flaked out in front of the telly.

I go down to the workshop, tentatively open the door and WHAM the heat hits me 37.6 C that's nearly 100 F in old money. The first opportunity I get to do any woodwork in about 4 months and its the hottest day of the year.

I've decided that the whole thing will be made with hand tools only. Mitred corners are the only option with the time available (to me not the 5 weeks 'till the comp finishes).

Found a bit of oak skirting (scavenged when our old office was refurbished) and cut the groove for the base with the 405 - easy and very satisfying.

Down came the Nobex mitre saw and in about 20 minutes I have the sides cut with the sweat dripping off me. TIP If you have one of these saws and it is hard to use a liberal quantity of french chalk, or talcum powder makes is cut like a dream. Cut the base from a piece of oak ply and low and behold it all fits together really well. This is a small cube like box dims 4"x4"x5".

I know realise that I do not process and corner clamps so at this point I'd like some ideas as to the best solution for clamping this together.
The corner clamps I've seen will be too big to fit inside such a small box and with its high sides I reckon I will need to clamp at the top and bottom of each corner.
I might try and make a couple of these:- http://www.sawdustmaking.com/Picture%20 ... _clamp.htm
But would welcome any comments from the experts. Would a web clamp be better?

AndyP

Andy,

I've had good success using tape to clamp up mitred corners. You could also try making some corner blocks similar to the ones in the link and grooving them to take a piece of string and use the old Spanish windlass trick. Just a couple of thoughts. Glad you found some time to do it! :D

Cheers, Alf

deedee
I will go with Alf on the masking tape use 2" wide, it stick really well for small light clamping jobs.

Bean

Alf/Bean
Thanks the simplest solutions are often the hardest to think of. I'l give it a go.

AndyP

Latest posts

Back