BOX COMPETITION - CLOSED! Judging in progress

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Time has moved swiftly on and we fast approach the finishing post :shock: I've been doing my best to keep track of who's entering what, and here's what I have:

Jaymar
Woodshavings (John)
DaveL and here
waterhead37 (Chris) and here
Gidon
Philly (started, but...?)
Dedee (Andy) (started but not able to finish IIRC?)

So have I missed anyone? If so please add the link to this thread, and apologies. :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Alf,
Sorry, my entry has been taking a back seat recently due to various tools purchases (you know what I'm talking about :D )
My box is just about finished though, I'll be posting my final completed pictures a little later today. Sorry for the delay, I hadn't forgoten. (Time does fly though, doesn't it?)
Cheers
Philly :D

Alf,
It's your fault for setting such tight time schedules ( :lol: :lol: )
How am I supposed to knock the thing out in the measley 8 weeks or so you allowed?
The same Old Excuses tm

Yeah, I'm sorry. I'll remember not to crack the whip so much next time... :roll: (hmm, funny. I could have sworn I had some legs I was standing on just a moment ago :oops: )

Incidentally, 5 hours 50 mins to go!

Cheers, Alf

Yeeeeesssssssssss!
Finished!! :lol:
Phew, didn't think I was going to make it-another month or two would have made things a bit more comfortable......... :wink:
Pics of my completed box are posted here
http://groups.msn.com/ukwoodworking/ban ... snw?Page=1
(Sorry, I can only post pics at work-will this do until tomorrow?)

I still am unsure which timber it is. The smell was quite unpleasant and the dust sticks everywhere and is itchy. Urgh...
The drawers were bandsawn out in one go, then the "frame" was textured using an angle grinder...... The drawers were drilled out and then chiseled and square on the inside. (I had hoped to rout these out but couldn't get enough plunge due to the "interesting" shape of the sides.) The finish was blonde shellac, and I burnished the case when it was dry. The drawer fronts were sanded smooth to add contrast. There is a nice feel to the piece (in the flesh) and the contrasting textures add interest. The drawers open by little cutouts on the side of each drawer which allow you to easily slide the drawers out. A brass rod was epoxied into the back to add support , as with so much wood removed the frame was sagging a little.
All in all, I enjoyed making something a little bit different to my usual stuff. I doubt if I'll win but (as Alf said in the rules) at least I have something to show for it!! :lol: Nice one that Girl!
regards
(who is looking forward to flat rectilinear stuff again!!!)

Philly,

At the eleventh hour - well done! I am intrigued by the idea of the brass rod - can we see a picture of the back? The problem of sagging I have read (never made one of these boxes myself) has been overcome by some, by slicing a piece off the back before sawing then regluing after sawing so that there is a solid back that is a perfect match for the rest of the box. Of course you can only open the drawers from one side in that case.

Chris
No prob-will post that shortly.
This is my first go at a bandsawn box-unfortunately someone posted that piece of useful information after I had cut mine out. That would of made life a lot easier.
In the end I routed a stopped groove down the back, throught the back of the drawers as well, and then epoxied (is that a verb? :shock: )the rod in.
It certainly took the sag out! I also put a little extra "spring" into it-the drawers now bind just before they come completely out! Fluke-Result! :D
cheers
A relieved Philly :D

Morning!
Some better pics for you all......
boxa.jpg

boxb.jpg

boxback.jpg

That last one was for you, Chris!
regards

Philly,

Phew. Did a bit of a Kelly Holmes there, waiting 'til the final straight! :lol: Cool box; the texturing's a bit different (in a good way :wink: ). D'you think you'll make more? Making bandsawn boxes seems to be a bit of a disease that takes over people's lives (hmm, perhaps I should have mentioned that earlier, before it was too late... :shock: )

Cheers, Alf

I have just posted my box in the gallery, I have not had much time over the last weekend to do another, but hope to get it done soon. (Just for the fun of it :D )

Alf,
Sorry, my box did not get finished on time. the pressures of family and holiday were just too much. Congrats to Dave for winning, as mentioned elsewhere that sure seems a complicated way to make a box.

I am only just back from holiday and after a bad case of mal de mer on Saturday am still feeling a little pale. I will finish the box and post details when completetd. I only have the inlays to glue in place followed by final finishing, so about 2-3 weeks I reckon. I was very pleased to see that Dave's winning entry is actually smaller than mine.

Thanks to everyone involved in the organising of this competition. Will there be another one?

Andy

Hi Andy

dedee":c5rmk7vu said:
Will there be another one?

Well, yes. Those nice people at Trend are sposoring the next competition.

I was just letting the last competition die down before setting upi the next one.

Out of interest, did you think that eight weeks was too short or about right?

Cheers
Neil

Neil, great can't wait - although I hope it will not be too power tool orientated as Trend are sponsoring

My failure to complete a project inside 8 weeks is solely due to family commitments (new born twins & a 3yr old) and a 2 week holiday coinciding with the completion date.

I think 8 weeks is ample for this type of competition.

Neil

Depends if I'm judging this time or not :wink:

If I am a judge then 2 weeks is ample time :twisted:

If not, then how about until Jan 1st? :lol:

Back