Bowling ball turning idea

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRITON

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Had an idea for a turning project for a bowling ball. Which I'm sure I'll get around to sometime this coming year.

Seen plenty of bowls, of hollowed out for pots, jars and the like and i think this is both unique and a good use of the ball, in that it makes 3 items all related

Sorry- hit enter too early.

To continue

1. Bandsaw off the flat sections to create 2 curved discs, that you then hollow out and rejoin together to make... A hip flask.

Course Ill need to buy a cheap hip flask to utilize the threaded cap
It can be epoxied back together, then coated on the inside in epoxy to prevent it leaking and to make an alcohol-proof inner.
Usually these flat sides of the ball have makers marks and other bowling ball info on them in the form of plastic or bone caps, these remain so it still has that ID.

2. With the main section you're left with, drill and thread a screw mount in it and flatten the outer cut sides.
3. scroll saw or so the middle leaving the main section of the ball to which you can add sides and drill into the 'top, to make a ...Decanter. Course again I'll need something to act as the neck, again something threaded. And either sand flat the bottom, or sand flat and add a flat piece of timber to make it stand up.
4. With the center section you scrolled out, use the same thread mount to turn the sides and bottom slightly tapering.
5. Then remount and take out the middle to create a cup, or Quaich . Again you could glue on a flat piece on top, extending out the sides to make a lip or holding handles, as you'd see on a quaich., shape and remove the middle so it acts like a lip.

So you get a decanter and drinking bowl, plus a small hip flask. I'd think using epoxy to coat the inside of every part to make it alcohol proof, but I think this is a good use for then and it utilizes all the parts without it all ending up as sawdust on the floor.

Thoughts -Or queries ?

Last edited:
I found this.
Artresin
Has passed food safety tests according to the article, but the article is on their own site so I cant post direct. But theres the name of it.

Plus epoxy in general is resistent to salt water, which pretty much corrodes most things

Lig Vi is a naturally oily wood so you might have an issue with the epoxy. I don't know, just a thought.
Interesting ideas, I have a number of bowling balls among my stock of "treasures". :)

I think though any surface could be first be wiped in acetone or such to remove the surface oils before putting a finish on.

Just a thought really. Been wanting to take the bowling ball beyond the usual offering. Thats the thing about design, to look past into new avenues.
The hip flask idea was where it began, its that right shape for a pocket, but what to do with the remaining bits.

A little tip you can use a hacksaw to cut off sides in a vice (its quite easy) To machine bowl in lathe use a rough bowl shape on either chuck or faceplate and use hot glue gun to fix in. Glue will split with screwdriver and will peal off.

Wonder if you can get a flat shaped bottle - something like a 20cl Gordons Gin but there will be many variations (perfume, other stuff) and inset it between the 2 halves with the neck sticking out? Or if you plan to buy an inexpensive hip flask anyway simlply sandwich it between the 2 sides before you glue. I doubt the longevity of any sealant in permanent contact with liquids.

Sounds good, I'd be lazy and rout the shape of a suitable bottle in each half.
The rest of the bowl could make a good router plane, can't remember who on here made one but it looked great

I don't know how you've got on with this project Triton but if you need a bottle to insert into the LV I have this you are welcome to. I kept three of them from a Christmas stocking filler from my wife, she tells me she ordered it from a Glasgow company! I'm afraid I just had to drink the contents. It's 110mm top of neck to base, 65mm wide and 35mm deep.

1653999137458.jpeg

Had an idea for a turning project for a bowling ball. Which I'm sure I'll get around to sometime this coming year.

Seen plenty of bowls, of hollowed out for pots, jars and the like and i think this is both unique and a good use of the ball, in that it makes 3 items all related

Sorry- hit enter too early.

To continue

1. Bandsaw off the flat sections to create 2 curved discs, that you then hollow out and rejoin together to make... A hip flask.

Course Ill need to buy a cheap hip flask to utilize the threaded cap
It can be epoxied back together, then coated on the inside in epoxy to prevent it leaking and to make an alcohol-proof inner.
Usually these flat sides of the ball have makers marks and other bowling ball info on them in the form of plastic or bone caps, these remain so it still has that ID.

2. With the main section you're left with, drill and thread a screw mount in it and flatten the outer cut sides.
3. scroll saw or so the middle leaving the main section of the ball to which you can add sides and drill into the 'top, to make a ...Decanter. Course again I'll need something to act as the neck, again something threaded. And either sand flat the bottom, or sand flat and add a flat piece of timber to make it stand up.
4. With the center section you scrolled out, use the same thread mount to turn the sides and bottom slightly tapering.
5. Then remount and take out the middle to create a cup, or Quaich . Again you could glue on a flat piece on top, extending out the sides to make a lip or holding handles, as you'd see on a quaich., shape and remove the middle so it acts like a lip.

So you get a decanter and drinking bowl, plus a small hip flask. I'd think using epoxy to coat the inside of every part to make it alcohol proof, but I think this is a good use for then and it utilizes all the parts without it all ending up as sawdust on the floor.

Thoughts -Or queries ?
Hi There you might be interested in this
the attached photo shows how ancient this design really is, as it was recovered from a burial of the 6th Century

Attachments

• Feldflasche FLASK.jpg
    Feldflasche FLASK.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 0
Back