Bowl problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Democritus

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I’ve part turned the base of a beech bowl, but have hit a snag. Quite a deep crack has appeared on the outside edge. (Photo attached) .I’ve soaked it in super glue, and rubbed a bit of sawdust in it, but it doesn’t look good. I could turn it way, I suppose, but i’m not sure how deep it is, and, in any case, it would be a waste of what otherwise is a nice piece of beech.
Any ideas what I can do to work round it. ?Filler.

Attachments

• 526FCE77-C807-4B7D-9FBC-F1DA4D40C69A.jpeg
    526FCE77-C807-4B7D-9FBC-F1DA4D40C69A.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 62
If you want to keep the bowl large, then just sharpen up your gouge, take light cuts and leaves if there as a feature.
Unless bowl needs to be 'whole'.

Or add epoxy glue/ resin with e.g. coloured stone/ brass filings/ glitter/ coffee grounds to make a statement.

Cheers, Greg. When I started, the blank just had a dark mark on the edge of one side. Because of that, I decided to use that side as the base of the bowl...
Good job I didn’t decide to use it as the bowl face. I haven’t got any epoxy glue, so I’ll have to send for some. Using it as a feature might work ok as well.
I wondered about using standard neutral wood filler, but i’ve never used it for turnings before.
Thanks for your suggestions.
D.

Last edited:
Dont use standard filler as stated use epoxy and a couring if anything - otherwise leave it as a feature

Thanks Pete and Phil.
I’ve used Milliput for bowl decorating. It’s really good stuff. I think I might take up your suggestion and use it as a fix for this. I’ve never used resin, although i’ve seen it used for inlay work, and, to be honest, I wouldn’t know where to start with it for a problem like this.
D

Don't think of it as a defect but as a very rare inclusion produced by mother nature and as such you should be able to charge top dollar for it on Ebay :LOL:
As stated above fill it with you chosen filler and make it a feature rather than a flaw, a plain wooden bowl is just that "plain" you have the oppertunity to make yours that little bit special (y)

Hi Guys,
I’ve part turned the base of a beech bowl, but have hit a snag. Quite a deep crack has appeared on the outside edge. (Photo attached) .I’ve soaked it in super glue, and rubbed a bit of sawdust in it, but it doesn’t look good. I could turn it way, I suppose, but i’m not sure how deep it is, and, in any case, it would be a waste of what otherwise is a nice piece of beech.
Any ideas what I can do to work round it. ?Filler.
My most popular bowls are those with faults and inclusions, with attached bark, and I recently turned a small vase with is spalted and wormed. Your bowl is enhanced with a natural inclusion. Some excellent comments have been made already. Keep up the good work.

I think you've done a good job there, the dark accents on the bowl actually detract from the 'defects' and lessen its impact. I quite like the look you have achieved.

Back