bowl nesting tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I have just been cutting a large Sycamore burr and realised what a waste of such a beautiful piece cutting out the middle with a gauge is. Has anyone any idea where I might get a tool to cut out the middle to make a nest of bowls ?

Jaymar,

I'm not absolutely certain but I believe the Kel McNaughton centre-saver needs a lathe with a minimum of 2 hp motor. Worth checking if you consider getting one.

Cheers,

Trev.

Ingenious device, but you'd have to save a lot of wood to justify the price.
I agree though, it's criminal seeing the centre of a big piece of beautiful wood end up as sawdust :(

I'm afraid at that price I will have to keep making piles of shavings. The wood didn't cost a lot but being a Yorkshireman i hate waste,Thanks for the replies

trevtheturner":2ec32c1w said:
Jaymar,
I'm not absolutely certain but I believe the Kel McNaughton centre-saver needs a lathe with a minimum of 2 hp motor. Worth checking if you consider getting one.
Cheers, Trev.
Could be what they recommend. My wife's large lathe is a Jet 1442 w/ a 1 hp motor. It seems to have enough power, at least for anything that fits over the bed.

But, she does enjoy making the nested bowls for the continuity of grain pattern.

Thanks for that info., Mike.

My lathe is a Hegner 1 h.p. which I thought was of insufficient power for the bowl-saver kit.

From your encouraging reply sounds like I might be in luck - I'll check it out.

Cheers,

Trev.

trevtheturner":4bn5xyxx said:
Thanks for that info., Mike.
My lathe is a Hegner 1 h.p. which I thought was of insufficient power for the bowl-saver kit.
From your encouraging reply sounds like I might be in luck - I'll check it out.
Cheers, Trev.
Hi Trev.,

I wish you (or I) were nearby. We would gladly loan it out to you for a trial. Maybe someone on the forum has one you could try? Anyone <g>...

Back