Bowl gouge - which size

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon C

Established Member
Reaction score
i Need to get a bowl gouge and I’m unsure whether to get a 3/8 or 1/2. I’m m getting a few bench tools from classic hand tools so thought I’d include a Hamlet gouge. I’m aware manufacturers measure there gouges differently, so any help would be appreciated.

I’m got an Axminster mini lathe so I’m limited to small bowls. I’d imagine 3/8 would be better?
Thanks

Many people would say 1/2".... that's all I use almost all the time. But if you are doing small only then yes 3/8 would be perfect.

Phil Pascoe":1wn8brbg said:
For small bowls, a 3/8" or even a 1/4" would be better than a 1/2".
I wouldn't recommend a 1/4" to begin with. They may be useful for detailing but they are more difficult to use for hollowing because they are less stiff so are more likely to vibrate.

I reach for the 3/8 most of the time and I have been turning for nearly 40 years.Bigger gouges if used to their limit need a more powerful motor and if ground with a swept back edge will easily stall a motor less than one hp,if you are inexperienced and your post suggests this I would definitely go for the 3/8 .

Thanks guys. You reaffirmed what I was originally thinking, 3/8.
Kevin, I’m definitely inexperienced. I’ve turned about 4 bowls, and that was 20 years ago. I’ve only just got back into turning this February and it’s been spindle work only.

Just be aware of the various brand dimensioning conventions:_
gouge2.jpg

Some Brands dimension like this:-
gouge.jpg

My Go-To Gouges are nominally 1/2" (actual12.75-13mm eqv.) stock with varying flute dimensions dependant on brand.

Attachments

• gouge.jpg
    gouge.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 322
  • gouge2.jpg
    gouge2.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 320
I emailed classic hand tools last night and just got a reply. Hamlet bowl gouge measurement is the flute size, so 3/8” is a 1/2” . As CHJ said. Ideal for what I need at the moment

Back