Quantcast

Bowl gouge - which size

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Jon C

Established Member
Reaction score
i Need to get a bowl gouge and I’m unsure whether to get a 3/8 or 1/2. I’m m getting a few bench tools from classic hand tools so thought I’d include a Hamlet gouge. I’m aware manufacturers measure there gouges differently, so any help would be appreciated.

I’m got an Axminster mini lathe so I’m limited to small bowls. I’d imagine 3/8 would be better?
Thanks

That would work

Established Member
Reaction score
Many people would say 1/2".... that's all I use almost all the time. But if you are doing small only then yes 3/8 would be perfect.

That would work

Established Member
Reaction score
Phil Pascoe":1wn8brbg said:
For small bowls, a 3/8" or even a 1/4" would be better than a 1/2".
I wouldn't recommend a 1/4" to begin with. They may be useful for detailing but they are more difficult to use for hollowing because they are less stiff so are more likely to vibrate.

kevinlightfoot

Established Member
Reaction score
I reach for the 3/8 most of the time and I have been turning for nearly 40 years.Bigger gouges if used to their limit need a more powerful motor and if ground with a swept back edge will easily stall a motor less than one hp,if you are inexperienced and your post suggests this I would definitely go for the 3/8 .

Jon C

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. You reaffirmed what I was originally thinking, 3/8.
Kevin, I’m definitely inexperienced. I’ve turned about 4 bowls, and that was 20 years ago. I’ve only just got back into turning this February and it’s been spindle work only.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Just be aware of the various brand dimensioning conventions:_
gouge2.jpg

Some Brands dimension like this:-
gouge.jpg

My Go-To Gouges are nominally 1/2" (actual12.75-13mm eqv.) stock with varying flute dimensions dependant on brand.

Attachments

Jon C

Established Member
Reaction score
I emailed classic hand tools last night and just got a reply. Hamlet bowl gouge measurement is the flute size, so 3/8” is a 1/2” . As CHJ said. Ideal for what I need at the moment