Bowed top in ash how to fix it without planing it to half

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbanarcher

Established Member
Reaction score
hi my colleague jointed a nice top in ash and had to leave it for a while before adding the efge banding etc now it resembles a quaver its all dimensioned and biscuit slots cut in edges how can we straighten this suitably for use without planing it to half thickness? any hints tips or simply guidance would be gratefully appreciated.
Ryan

Can you live with it a bit smaller in width?

Run it though the saw cutting thought the worst twists, re joint the edges and re-glue. With luck only losing 6-10mm per extra cut.

If you can't tolerate a change in width, make cuts 1/2 to 2/3 deep from the underside through the worst twists, press flat and fit breadboard edges, use sawdust and glue filler on the underside to fill the gaps.

Next time let the wood acclimatise longer and alternate the growth rings on each board where grain matching will allow.

Good Luck

Bob

thanks for the advice bob i've told him what you said its a shame that he had made the legs too otherwise width wouldn't be such a problem!
09112011817web.jpg

we did rotate rings when jointing all i can think is that it was the change in the weather that's made it bow so badly. I think we might have to go with the scoring the back method unless anyone else has any other ideas?

You could try wetting the concave parts this should flatten it out, it may take awhile and you will need to hold it flat, as it dries out again it will try to return to its current shape.

Back