bow handle or body grip jigsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knothead

Reaction score
Evening all. I am about to buy a new jigsaw, have decided on a Bosch. I see that the GST150 is available with either a bow handle or body-grip style. Bosch obviously thinks there is enough difference to make both types, but I can't decide which is better. Does anyone out there have a preference? By the way, my first experience of jigsaws was the original Scintilla in 1960-something - I think that was made by Bosch?

thanks in hope....

I have both Bosch types (cheap car-boot buys) and although I don't use either very much I seem to have a bit more control with the body grip type.

Body grip here, but like RogerP says above, I don't really use it enough to make a definitive statement as to which is 'best' - haven't had any problems with it though.

Cheers, Pete

I have not tried a body grip type as I get on well with the original grip type I find control and direction along with the variable speed trigger to be good

No problems with conventional for me :mrgreen:

I have the aforementioned Bosch body grip, and I've got fairly small hands which makes it a bit of a stretch to get to the on/ off button. After prolonged use it does ache the palm a bit. If I could go back, and I will do @ some point I'll go for the more standard handle design. I used to have a Makita 18v one, and it had the standard body shape, I much prefer that design.

But then again, they do look cool! :D :D :D

With regards to control, I don't think there's much in it. When I used the old style one I used to have one thumb pressed down on the base plate to the side of the blade to aid control, with the body grip there's not much need as your hands centre of gravity is lower, better for one handed use I suppose.

Hope that's of some help to you knothead. cheers _Dan.

If you intend to use it upside down, it's barrel grip. If you don't (and there's really no need to use it upside down with modern blades) the regular will probably suit you better.
I prefer me regular d-body Makita 18v. To my Festool barrel grip, and it seems most people have the same preference. Notable exception seems to be carpenters and such, primarily because they use it upside down.

I prefer barrelgrip, D grip always feel clumsy when used upsidedown even if you hold the motor. Go into a good dealer and try both types
Matt

I think it is a matter of personal preference.

For many years I had a Kress Body Grip Jigsaw and as previously mentioned in prolonged use you would get fatigue in your hand as well as having difficulty reaching the switch.

After it died a natural death I replaced it with a Makita Bow Handle and now would never go back to a body grip as I find the Makita far more user friendly.

So I would suggest before you commit see if any friendly forum members near you would let you try theirs before spending your hard earned! You are welcome to come and try my bow handle but I think distance may be a bit of an issue.

Rog

Many thanks everyone for taking the trouble to reply. I'm not sure if it has made the choice any easier! I think on balance I will go for the D-handle, I'll post a comment here after Christmas to let you know how I get on with it.

Meantime, I hope you all have a great Christmas and plenty of nquality workshop time thereafter.

Bruce

Back