Bournemouth advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamRed

Reaction score
My partner's been offered a job down in Bournemouth. Being a Northerner it'd be a big step to move down there but I have to say I'm tempted by the thought of being near the sea, we used ot go to Swanage on holidays when I was a kid and I did love it down there.
We wouldn't be tied to Bournemouth, we could be anywhere in the surrounding area as long as it's within a half hour/45 minute drive, has anyone down there got any suggestions?
We've been sent some details by her prospective employers that included these details http://www.palmersnell.co.uk/forsaleoffice/Boscombe/1062 but I'm wondering if it would be cheaper more towards Christchurch, I remember reading something about Poole being pretty pricey.

Cheers.

SamRed":128ce6dk said:
My partner's been offered a job down in Bournemouth. Being a Northerner it'd be a big step to move down there but I have to say I'm tempted by the thought of being near the sea, we used ot go to Swanage on holidays when I was a kid and I did love it down there.
We wouldn't be tied to Bournemouth, we could be anywhere in the surrounding area as long as it's within a half hour/45 minute drive, has anyone down there got any suggestions?
We've been sent some details by her prospective employers that included these details http://www.palmersnell.co.uk/forsaleoffice/Boscombe/1062 but I'm wondering if it would be cheaper more towards Christchurch, I remember reading something about Poole being pretty pricey.

Cheers.

Regarding Poole you might be getting mixed up with Millionaires Row or whatever it is called....a stretch with some uber-expensive properties that make Mayfair look cheap.

Weather's better and so is the beer :wink:

Hi

It's a lovely area of the country - we used to live there.

I'd suggest doing your sums before deciding though - the cost of living, (ie house ownership / renting), is quite considerable and local salaries don't really match up, (in my opinion).

Good luck

Mick

Hi Sam, just like any other town, Bournemouth, Poole & Christchurch all have their expensive/cheap areas.
I would say that IN GENERAL Xch is a bit more expensive than the others and take note of Mick's post, above.

hth chris

Just a little to the right of Bournmouth and Christchurch, a place called Milford-on-Sea, is very nice. My Aunt moved there from Solihull in the West Midlands. Property prices are not as high as you will find in Bournmouth or Christchurch. May be worth considering. It would be about 30 mins to Bournmouth from there, through Christchurch.

Alex

In general most properties near the south coast are going to be more expensive and Sandbanks is the area of a Millionaires Row.
45 mins from there gives quite a big area to search and areas of inland Dorset were generally a bit cheaper? The area surrounding it in Hampshire is the New Forest and again not cheap.
Lovely part of the world to live.

Rod

RogerS":36uwlxao said:
Regarding Poole you might be getting mixed up with Millionaires Row or whatever it is called....a stretch with some uber-expensive properties that make Mayfair look cheap.

Weather's better and so is the beer :wink:

Yes, that would be Sandbanks, Poole. Been there on weekend trips - 'good' for a party though :shock:

Sandbanks is the second most expensive place to live in the world apparently :)

Anyway I'd avoid boscombe it's got quite rough round there in the last 10 years. Lots of druggies etc. Shame as it used to be nice.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I bought a house in boscombe 20 years ago it was such a dump there i put it back on the market. The whole of Bournemouth is a traffic jam.

There are some lovely towns and villages in the area (I loved Wimborne when I lived there), but the prices can vary enormously; ~15 years back, it could frequently take the best part of 45 mins to drive the 10 miles into Bournemouth or Poole at peak times.
The biggest problem with the whole area comes in summer - it tends to fill up with Northerners (people from as far away as Basingstoke, can you believe it?) complaining about the price of beer, how the chips aren't as good as those from home, and how miserable the locals are... :wink:

All good advice, thanks. Yes, I've heard of Sandbanks, not sure I can stretch to that area...
I'll have a look at Milford online but I think we need to get down there and have a look around the whole area, make a bit of a holiday out of it, try some of that beer, maybe some chips, a few pasties, purely in the name of reserach you understand :)

Thanks all.

SamRed":31mgtlhc said:
t I think we need to get down there and have a look around the whole area, make a bit of a holiday out of it, try some of that beer, maybe some chips, a few pasties, purely in the name of reserach you understand :)

Thanks all.

Somewhat off the OPs topic but an interesting thread as we're looking to move to escape congestion, rather than for work.

I live in outer London (N.Surrey/SW London) and the traffic is horrendous. I used to commute to London (City) by motorbike - took an hour and it's 16 miles door to door, so you can work out the average speed - bloody slow! Took to the trains but that' was at least an hour (commuter line) - with occassional break down/strike to keep things interesting. Funnily enough many colleagues were from 'up North' - e.g. Yorkshire not Basingstoke :D - all moved for work reasons.

So, kids fleed (or about to) the nest we thought we'd head South in about a year's time- aim is within 30 mins of coast and 90 mins of London (parents remain in West London). Just ordered maps and aim to have day trips to scout out the likely areas. Narrowed it down to anywhere between West Kent and Dorset so far.

Point of my ramble? Will any respite be temporary as others, like me, migrate?

When I left the Navy in '64, I seriously entertained the idea of settling in Hampshire. By the time I was financially ready to move back down South, I was settled in my job. So, working on the principle that better the Devil you know, than the Angel you don't, I stayed put. To be fair, I did know both areas well, and I still wonder what I missed by not seeking employment in Hants.

Mind you, I am told my Brummie accent (such as it is) would have been incomprehensible, so close to France..... Jon! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back