Bought my first shed, let the fun begin.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UTMonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been wandering your forums for a few weeks now and thought I would introduce myself.

I am in my early forties and work in IT, a career choice which I slipped into quite easily from school. I'm pretty good at it too, but over recent years I do miss the satisfaction of making stuff. I recall that before going down the IT route I was not bad at woodwork/metalwork at school.

So there you have it, the shed has been purchased, and whilst I must accept that some part of it will play host to the rubbish my wife thinks is no longer useful to have in the house there will be a sizeable bit dedicated to my workshop.

I have bought a book for beginners and am compiling a tool list, expect loads of questions.

Thanks for reading.

Mark

I would suggest the first thing you make is a woodwork bench, mine is softwood so not too costly and it doesnt give you stress if you bash it about a bit compared with those other ones if you know what I mean.

Hi Mark,

IT career - interested in making stuff from wood - boy, does that sound familiar - except I've managed to retire from IT! Welcome to the forum and good luck!

I absolutely agree with devonwoody that the first tool you need is a good, solid bench. I laboured for years with a rickety bench that wobbled left-right whenever I tried to plane a piece of wood, or bounced and rebounced whenever I nailed two bits of wood together, or vibrated when I drilled a a hole. Think of a solid bench as your first and most important tool.

Chris

Back