Bought an old Stanley 4 1/2 - What level of refurbing?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D_W":1rdq8lhn said:
Bodgers":1rdq8lhn said:
topchippyles":1rdq8lhn said:
Give the blade a grinding and sharpening,Clean up with some wire wool and a slight rub over with an oiled rag to prevent any future rusting.Should be fine if other functions are working ok.
The instructions state that grinding isn't necessary. The back is also impressively flat. It actually came setup with a micro bevel as well. Very sharp from the box.

I think these Veritas blades are intended to be ready for use from the start. Which I suppose is one of the reasons why they are so expensive.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Price is in the finish (I didn't read back to see if it's V11), of course. It's what the market demands now. if it's V11 in the iron, add a few bucks because unlike the easy salt-bath quench and tempering stuff that it's ubiquitous, it's pricey stock.

From their perspective as a retailer, if you don't finish tools perfectly these days, the inexperienced market will inundate you with returns.

There was an article from Leonard Lee years ago where he talked about people calling and telling LV that this or that was out a thou, and they needed this spec or that spec. He said something along the lines of "they have no idea what they're talking about and couldn't measure what they're claiming in the first place, but sooner or later you just stop arguing and give them what they're asking for, anyway".

The benefit, of course, is even if you don't need that level of finish, it's there and it won't hurt.

Yeah, it is PMV11.

When I first took the blade out of my box and looked at the incredible standard of finish, including the micro-bevel, my first thought was "if ever this gets really out of shape, I don't think there is anyway I would ever have the skills to get it looking like this again". So I think they have done a very good job on these that requires no messing around with.

Regardless of whether or not it's needed to actually do anything (based on my comments), it is actually quite wonderful (the V11) and the finish level is superb. You can polish the back, but it's kind of a waste of time above and beyond just sharpening the iron and giving it the back treatment on the polish stone that you would in any other sharpening iteration.

It (the V11) is also pretty much a rust free steel, but one that doesn't suffer the same ills as some other rust free steels that will behave oddly on certain sharpening stones. It'll take a good edge off of anything, even oilstones.

I've been through a refurbishment thing with a vintage Stanley 4 1/2. It is now my favourite plane. Love the balance afforded by the extra weight.
Anyway, back to your very first post. Sacrilege is in the eye of the beholder. Do with it whatever gives you the greatest pleasure and satisfaction :D

Latest posts

Back