Bought a pallet of off cuts.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Britman

Chip of the old block
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Bought a pallet of off cuts on eBay.
Has a mix of American Oak, Walnut, Cherry, Maple but is mostly Tulip.

It feels like it was a good price, no way I could have bought such a variety of species individual.

Quality is a little hit and miss. The walnut is nice. The cherry board is a bit miss having a split.

It cost £350 which included delivery.

So if you have a small shop and do smaller projects try eBay. Just be aware the quality risk.

IMG-20210430-WA0008.jpeg
IMG-20210430-WA0010.jpeg

Maybe but if I was to buy each species at a minimum of 1cuf surely that would run many many hundreds more?

Before Christmas I bought one plank of American walnut and one plank of maple. Rough sawn, and ballpark of 2"x8"x7', cost £120 inc vat.
Ordered the same last week - came to £185 !

Ssshh.... Don't tell my wife.
At these rates she'll be hassling me to start selling some of my hoard :D

Last edited:
It looks like each board is around a metre long. That looks like a good price to me. Especially as Peri pointed out, timber is a ridiculous price at the moment.

Just checked and I paid £69.62 inc vat per cubic foot for some 26mm Prime European Oak ( just sawn) about 3 weeks ago. There was only about 6 lengths but it was part of a bigger order, delivery was free.

The invoice says £2,048 m3 + vat, think I've worked it out right :unsure:

That was from Arnold Lavers at Hull, sounds like @Cabinetman got a good price?

price seems a bit steep for what it is, however the walnut on its own wouldn't be cheap and it doesn't look like there's any sapwood in there.

Prime European Oak, square edge kiln dried 27 mil thick, purchased just over a month ago comes in at £46 including VAT per cubic foot, and they weren’t envisaging any price rises. Why did you go for American by the way?
I built a new roof on our bungalow with bedrooms etc upstairs and built the stairs with a/oak which at the time was a good price, move forward three years and the wife wants all new doors downstairs to match the stairs.

I have had a chat with her and she has given me her kind permission to use european , so I am now starting to look for some nice quality euro oak plus a couple bob saved for myself.
Clive.

Back