Bosch POF500A

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen a few people use them in homemade CNC machines too, I guess because of the ease of taking the base off and that standard fit. I think that might be why they've gained a bit in price secondhand too.

I inherited the machine, and it had been put together without the insert so didn't lock at all, I assumed it just didn't lock by design. I've done a few bits with it but really was a pretty frustrating machine to use. Now i've got two inserts in place so it should work nicely. I think I'll make up a simple table and fence now and this will Be a really useful tool.

Just in case anyone else drops in on this thread like I did, with the same issue. I've just ordered some 6mm solid brass bar from eBay and plan to cut it down to size. I haven't lost my single/original brass part but want to add a 2nd one and have some spares. For reference the original is 6.5mm diameter and 6.7mm in length.

Just in case anyone else drops in on this thread like I did, with the same issue. I've just ordered some 6mm solid brass bar from eBay and plan to cut it down to size. I haven't lost my single/original brass part but want to add a 2nd one and have some spares. For reference the original is 6.5mm diameter and 6.7mm in length.
A good suggestion from another member was to salvage brass from a plug.

Thank-you. I inherited a POF500 (note not 500A) and will look into this mod as locking on both sides has to be better.
Anyone know what the 500A version has over the 500 except perhaps the dust extraction port? I have been after one of these for while but they appear to be unobtainable as a spare part. I have looked a buying one with a free router but like someone said, these are fetching serious money these days.
Finally, not sure if it is original but mine has a £14.99 price sticker on it. It could of course have been from something else and just stuck on the POF500 box.

POF500 was one of the first power tools I bought - probably about 1986 - Mine shows it was made by Scintilla in Switzerland. Still going strong, and still a great little router

POF500 was one of the first power tools I bought - probably about 1986 - Mine shows it was made by Scintilla in Switzerland. Still going strong, and still a great little router

Same - I got mine in about 1990 and still use it regularly :)

Hi - There seems to be a lot of experience with the POF500 on here. Can anyone tell ,me if they have used one in a router table and any amendments they had to make to achieve it?

Hi - There seems to be a lot of experience with the POF500 on here. Can anyone tell ,me if they have used one in a router table and any amendments they had to make to achieve it?
No experience with a router table but I did just used mine with a Festool LR32 drilling kit and a holy rail. I was surprised to be able to buy an 8mm collet for it. Not bad for such an old tool. I’ve had it since the late 80’s. It only got used once in a blue moon but I had to replace the brushes in it a couple of years ago.

I'll look at mine later, the larger Bosch routers of that era iirc had a warning that they were not to be used inverted, presumably because the bottom is quite open and would allow chips into the motor. The small one can be used as an overhead router in a good quality drill stand (I have an old Bosch S7 (far from cheap when new)), you just need to make up a base with an adjustable fence.

Mine has seen occasional work upside down in a table. Didn’t make any changes to it although setting height using the standard plunge mechanism is a bit of a faff.
I also managed to pick up a POF500A (with a dust port) so now have a spare plunge base which I am considering modifying to have a threaded height adjustment for use in a table. However the POF500 is still only 1/4”, fixed speed and possibly underpowered, depending what you are planning to cut. Keeping my eyes open in case a 1/2” variable speed machine with built-in depth setting pops up at a keen price.

I'll look at mine later, the larger Bosch routers of that era iirc had a warning that they were not to be used inverted, presumably because the bottom is quite open and would allow chips into the motor. The small one can be used as an overhead router in a good quality drill stand (I have an old Bosch S7 (far from cheap when new)), you just need to make up a base with an adjustable fence.
The instruction sheet actually mentions accessories including a router table and the S7/S8 drill stand….
EEF47865-13DC-49C2-918D-E52256AB4A42.jpeg

(Ignore the fact it mentions POF52 - it does the same inside but is labelled POF500 on the front)….

Back