Bosch IXO Screwdriver

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger

Established Member
Reaction score
I was in my local B&Q two weeks ago when I noticed this screwdriver down from £24 odd to £19. It looked like a handy gadget, pocket sized and very hand for the odd light duty job around the house so I parted with my £19 and took the driver home. That afternoon I decided to use the driver to pilot drill and screw some 25 X 15mm pipe clips into my shed / workshop to clip the 4mm triple armoured cable into I was running up from the house.

The first thing I noticed was that the motor bearings had a lot of play to the extent that the end of the pilot drill wandered by 2 - 3mm when turning. undeterred I drilled the pilot holes and then fitted the clips with 1'' size 10's into the softwwood of the interior where I planned to run the cable.

After 15 screws the driver seized solid, So back in my car , down to B&Q. They refunded my money after a 30 minute queue and so I thought maybe I'd just got a lemon. I liked the convenience of the IXO so I bought another.

On arriving home the bearings on this one were if anything worse and I noticed end float on the shaft as well. I tried to put the first screw in but as soon as I put any pressure on the driver to start the screw off it just stopped. I'm assuming the end float on the drive shaft was the cause because as soon as the pressure backed off the unit operated without any load applied. So back down B&Q where my money was refunded after another 30 minute wait.

Has anyone else had problems with this product or was I just plain unlucky?
:?
Trig.

Trig
I've bought 2 for use at work-both been fine, although they are no good for drilling, just screwing.
cheers
Philly :D

Maybe two lemons :shock: :shock:

Glad your pleased with yours Philly. Do yours have end float or lateral movement in the bearings ?

As you say Waterhead unusual for Bosch but I did notice one thing on the package. It said ' Made in Malaysia'. Do Bosch subcontract out the manufacture of some of their tools now ?

Lunchtime I went to my local tool dealer who sells mainly DW, Makita and Metabo and noticed a nice Metabo Powergrip driver set with a lamp attachment and two batteries in a nice case for £65. A big price difference I know but looks like a well made driver with the added bonus of variable torque. Does anyone have any 'hands on' with this product ?

Cheers,
Trig

Trig
No both seem tight. For putting together kitchens and hard-to-reach places they are fine, but its not really a heavy duty tool.
Philly :D

Trigger":1guz1gqc said:
It said ' Made in Malaysia'. Do Bosch subcontract out the manufacture of some of their tools now ?

Having lived in Malysia for many years I can tell you that Bosch has had a factory there for many, many years. Its principal output was stuff for the automotive industry (which is a very large part of the greater Bosch empire). It doesn't suprise me if they make handtools like screwdrivers as well for although Malaysian manufacturing costs are actually rather high these days on a worldwide scale, Bosch has the benefit of a stable, profitable setup already there.

I guess I was just unfortunate Chris as if the factory is Bosch run and been in Malaysia for a number of years its obviously not just a case of re badging a product from a dubious source.

Latest posts

Back