Bosch IXO Cordless Lithium-Ion Screwdriver

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Having had my existing power screwdriver expire I was in the market for a replacement.

I chose the Bosch IXO Cordless Lithium-Ion Screwdriver.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003 ... 01_s00_i00

I went for this particular model, having been impressed by one or two other Bosch tools I have bought lately, from their 'Professional' range.

I had used Bosh power tools before, and I still have one of their early, upright 1/4" routers. But the smaller tools I 'd used (Screwdrivers, drills) were not quite up to the same spec. But it seems Bosch is getting its act together.

The drill comes in a tall, oval tin box, unusual, and for me a bit of a disappointment. ( It resembles a toffee tin!) It looks fine, but takes up shelf space. However, if you don't want to lose the two angled attachments, you need to keep the box, because there is proper storage inside for the attachments. There was a bit of a puzzle/test to open the box. At first glance, what I thought was the lid, wasn't, and eventually I clocked that the tin separates into two halves, to get it open. Maybe you won't have the same trouble. I blame my age!

The range of bits supplied is adequate, but there is only one 'slotted' driver. This is small, and just about works in a No. 8 screw, but it jumps the slot unless you take care. So the kit would be improved by a bigger range of slotted screw-bits. For the regular retail price, I think Bosch could have supplied them TBH. These bits are available after-market, if you don't already have some.

There are two angled driving attachments, included in the box. I see these as being invaluable when installing drawer slides and adjustable cabinet hinges for instance. The adapters are simple to fit, at any angle around the 'clock' face of the nose. Just pull off the rubber nose-cap, and you're ready to go.

This drill will handle Kreg screwdriver bits, but it might be necessary to fit an added adapter. The one I used was from my Black & Decker 14v cordless drill.

This compact little driver is surprisingly powerful for its size. There is ample torque, (Enough to surprise me, on first use, by almost twisting my hand over when it pulled up a No. 8 screw.) The drill stows in its charger, on the bench if you wish, and is always ready for use. The charger gets warm, so I wouldn't leave it on charge overnight. However, it's been fine through the day, just sitting there, and it stops charging when it's full and ready!

For a bench-ready, electric screwdriver, this mighty-atom fills the gap between a normal cordless drill/driver, and the full-on, cabled electric drill.
I am well satisfied with this handy little tool. I suspect you will be too. (It's much cheaper from Amazon at the moment, and free delivery meant waiting only about 4 days.) !

(The pictures read backwards, so you might want to start at the bottom and work upwards!)

This is my honest assessment of this power driver. I wasn't disappointed and I don't think you will be either. But for the oversight on the lack of slotted driver bits, I'd say *****, but because of that omission Four and a half.
I commend this little gem to the house!
:D

ll

Attachments

• Bosch Driver.jpg
    Bosch Driver.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 80
  • Bosch Driver002.jpg
    Bosch Driver002.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 79
  • The biscuit tin.jpg
    The biscuit tin.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 80
  • Angle and offset adapters.jpg
    Angle and offset adapters.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Angle Drive fitted on.jpg
    Angle Drive fitted on.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Nose-cap removed.jpg
    Nose-cap removed.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 80
  • Open The Box.jpg
    Open The Box.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Added adapter.jpg
    Added adapter.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 81
  • In The Box.jpg
    In The Box.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Open The Box.jpg
    Open The Box.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 81
Useful review John - I expect I am not alone when I say I trust reviews by people I 'know' on here much more than other reviews on-line. That angled head looks similar to what was on a friend's much more expensive Festool electric screwdriver - he does office fitting and says it has often been useful in odd corners underneath things. As for the slotted bits - other discussions on here have confirmed how hard they are to buy now, with diehards like us preferring them for use on little hinges and suchlike - but would anyone want to use an electric driver on jobs like those?

AndyT":1gsdzdpm said:
As for the slotted bits - other discussions on here have confirmed how hard they are to buy now, with diehards like us preferring them for use on little hinges and suchlike - but would anyone want to use an electric driver on jobs like those?

Thanks Andy.
I still have a good selection from an old driver that died years ago! (I never throw much away... )
I agree with regard to 'real cordless' screwdrivers, but there are often times when I have to grit my teeth to use a manual driver.
Tennis-elbow I believe they call it. One of the main reasons I started to use an electrical driver more and more! :mrgreen:
One of the penalties of 'maturity'! :lol: As for small brass hinges, etc., well thankfully a small driver with a red handle is still within my powers. For now. When it's not, I might consider selling my tools in a job lot. :wink:

Back